Chapter 17 - Madison

ابدأ من البداية

What the—

I glance over my shoulder and see Maxon sleeping. Oh, God. His handsome face is so close to mine and he smells so good. My gaze lingers on those luscious lips of his before I shake some reason into myself. We're just friends. Slowly I move, trying not to wake him up.

He lets out an mmm and I still. I watch as he shifts and his eyes flutter open. He catches sight of me and gives me a small smile. His deep, rough voice asks. "You're awake? What time is it?"

He loosens his hold on me as I reach for my phone, it reads 9:43 pm. I tell him the time and notice that there are also four unread messages. One from Trinity and three from Vanessa.

Trinity: Has he left yet?

Vanessa: Are you okay? Maxon left.

Vanessa: I have a feeling he went to see you *emoji winky face*

Vanessa: WARNING: I'm on my way! So whatever it is you're both doing? STOP!

That was...twenty-five minutes ago!

Crap! I sit up and scoot away from Maxon.

"Where are you going?" He asks, sitting up as well.

"Vanessa texted that she's on her way."

"And? I don't see what the problem is."

I give him an incredulous look. "Are you serious? I don't want her getting the wrong idea."

"Would it be so bad?" He gives me a sad look.

"Maxon—"

"I know," He says, sitting up. "Friends. We're friends." I can hear the unspoken words, for now.

The door opens before I can get another word out and in walks Vanessa.

"Hey." She greets.

"Hey yourself. How were the movies?"

"Great! I enjoyed getting to spend one-on-one time with my brother." Her gaze zeroes in on Maxon. "I'm sure Maxon did too. Since he ditched us for you."

Maxon looks unashamed. "You know Madison is a pretty incredible person. I couldn't stay away." He shoots me a glance and I once again, try to hide a blush.

"That she is." V agrees, staring between the both of us, a tiny twinkle in her eye.

Maxon gets up and comes over to me.

"I'll be going now." He says softly.

"Okay." I nod, aware Vanessa is watching our encounter closely.

"I enjoyed hanging out with you." He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "We should all go and give you a tour of New York. Different sights to see every day. How does that sound?"

"That's a perfect idea!" V beams, clapping her hands together but Maxon doesn't say anything. Instead, he's waiting for me to answer. It's up to me. Again.

"Aren't you busy? I wouldn't want to bother you if you had plans."

He shakes his head. "No plans. And you're no bother. I mean it, Madison, you would never be that to me." His eyes pierce into mine, conveying the emotion behind his words.

"Okay. That plan sounds nice." I say a bit timidly. This isn't something I'm used to but hopefully can grow into.

His smile transforms into a bright, full-out grin. "Great! I'll text you girls the info tomorrow morning. I have to see if Luke's willing to go. You know, if he feels like walking." He winks at me.