I didn’t say much as I ate the rest of my breakfast, pondering on how late was too late to arrive for my first day.  After twenty minutes I concluded I couldn’t delay any further and cleared my plate into the sink.

‘Thank you for the breakfast’ I said kissing Becky on the cheek as I walked past.

‘No problem, good luck honey’ she smiled as I walked out into the hallway and gathered my things.

***

The bright blue sky and sunshine greeted me warmly as I stepped onto the courts, heading towards the group of people in white congregated by the water cooler.  I looked upon them as I approached and noticed that while some of them were chatting to each other easily, some of them, like me, looked nervous and were standing quietly on the side lines.  At least I wasn’t the only one who was anxious, I thought as I hitched my bag up higher on my shoulder.

As I approached a blonde girl with a flawless full face of make-up stepped forwards and held out her hand with a wide smile.

‘Hi, I’m Brianne’ she sang in a rather upper class accent.

‘Hi, I’m Kelly’ I smiled back shaking her hand briefly, her long immaculate nails making me suddenly very aware of my chipped purple nail varnish.

‘Are you excited?’ she asked beaming

‘Uh, a little more nervous than excited to be honest’ I smiled politely, looking around for a place to drop my bag.

‘Me too, but I just can’t wait to tell Daddy all about this place’ she sighed, clapping her hands in excitement.

I smiled back trying to hide my grimace.  I wonder how much ‘Daddy’ had paid to secure his little darling a place.  If I wasn’t for the academies scholarship programme I wouldn’t be able to afford the term fees, short of us selling the family home.

She opened her mouth as if to ask another question but her eyes widened and I realised she was gazing past me, her mouth gawping and her eyes glossy.  I turned around and had to stop myself from doing the same as I stared at what I can only describe as a tall, tanned god walking directly towards us in pristine tennis whites.  My breath caught in my throat as my eyes travelled across his face, taking in his ruffled dark hair, strong nose, chiselled cheekbones and a stubble scattered jaw line that could have been carved by angels.  I inspected his powerfully built chest, broad shoulder and his tanned muscly arms and legs appreciatively.  One arm was tattooed heavily but I was too far away to see any details.

Sweet Jesus.

‘Welcome to Middletons’ He said in a deep timber voice as he dropped his large sports bag onto the floor with a thud.

‘My name is Coach Hendry, I am the one who has to make sure you are up to the standard expected to qualify for your second year’ he said firmly as he leant down and unzipped the bag pulling out a racket and a tube of balls.