"Oh g'day!" I said, seeing Robert also walking to the zoo. He turned around, stopping once he saw me. 

"Oh good morning!" He said, waiting for me to catch up to him.

"What are you doing up so early?"

"I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep so I figured I'd come and help with morning feedings and checking the animals," he explained, "You off to feed Rose?"

"Sure am. She should be starting pap soon, right? I know she's still so small but your mum said the other day that it shouldn't be more than a week before she starts refusing milk and looking for pap." 

"Yeah, she should be. Let's just see how her feedings go and she'll let you know when she's ready."

We reached the wildlife hospital and walked to the care room, where I scooped little Rose up out of her little incubator. Dr Sam appeared in the doorway.

"Here you are! Her bottle is ready and waiting on the table in the break room," she quickly said before being called away to go check on some other animals. 

I carried Rose to the break room, sitting down in my usual seat and grabbing the bottle. However, she was struggling to drink today and just kept nuzzling around and bumping my hand with her nose. 

"G'day Ashley! How's feeding going?" Bindi said as she poured herself some coffee.

"She's not taking it, just keeps nuzzling around," I replied, confused. 

"Hmmm, let me go find mum, she just came in too," she said, going back down the hallway.

"Hey, Bindi said Rose isn't eating?" Terri said once they both came back into the break room after a few minutes. 

"No, she just keeps doing this," I said, motioning down to what seemed like strange behaviour.

"Oh! She's looking for pap! Ashley, you've really helped her come a long way. We have some pap supply. Let me go grab some and we'll try that."

Pap is basically faecal matter. In the wild, baby koalas would nuzzle their mother's cloaca to get that pap. Pap is crucial as it helps them adjust their gut bacteria for them to be able to eat eucalyptus. If Rose takes to the pap, then I won't have to feed her so often and she'll be able to go to the koala enclosure with the rest of them soon.

Terri returned with a small dish of pap and a syringe. She sat next to me and took Rose. Sure enough, that's what she was needing. 

"So I won't have to come to feed her so often?" I asked. 

"No, she's passed that point now. She's done so well and we couldn't have gotten her to this point without you, even though it's only been a few days," Terri said, "the normal caregivers should be able to handle her now, and she'll be able to join the rest of the koalas in about a month or so."

"Oh, awesome! I'm so glad I was able to help her. I just love helping the animals and knowing I'm helping to make a difference."

"You know, Ashley, you practically already work here full time, you're more than welcome to pick a speciality animal or even just tell me this is what you want to do, and we'll find something for you." 

"Thank you, Terri. That would be wonderful! I just haven't quite figured it out yet. I love all the animals here, but I love making art too. But I don't know If I'd be able to make a career out of art. You know, the term starving artist and all," I chuckled.

"I understand honey. Just let me know when you're ready. And I promise I won't be mad if you don't choose the zoo." 

I was thankful for Terri. She was always so understanding and patient, and never took anything too personal. She was sweet and patient, much like my mum. It was nice having two strong, independent women in my life that I could look up to and rely on.