Thankfully we were done feeding the tigers and their usual handler was preparing to get them ready to go in for the night, so we handed them the meat buckets and ran to the wildlife hospital.

"We're here, what's going on?" I said as we made our way into the building. I looked over at Ashley, she was visibly anxious.

"It's Rose," mum called from the break room, "she hasn't been eating when the other handlers try to feed her so we thought maybe Ashley should try feeding her and see if that'll work."

I let out a sigh of relief, at least no one was hurt. But Ashley needed to try to feed Rose, or else she may not make it. 

"Of course! Anything to help," Ashley said, going around the table to where mum was sitting with Rose in a bundle of blankets. 

She pulled the chair closer to mum, positioning herself to take the bundle of blankets and koala in a way that would be comfortable for her and little Rose. Mum handed Rose to her as well as the bottle off the table.

"Hey, sweetheart. They're telling me you're having a rough time eating. I hope I can help you," Ashley said softly, speaking to Rose. Rose let out a few little squeaks, looking up at Ashley. She slowly brought the bottle to Rose's mouth, nudging her to find it.

"It looks like she's taking it!" I said in a whisper yell, not wanting to disturb the koala but also not being able to contain my excitement.  

"She is!" Ashley said back, giggling. "What a good baby you are."

"She likes you, Ashley. You may have to be here to do her feedings from now on. She's so small and if she's not eating, she can go downhill very fast. Luckily she's only needing to eat every 4-5 hours, and she'll be needing pap soon to give her the bacteria that she will need to be able to adjust her gut to eat the eucalyptus." Mum explained. "We can keep her here, and you can come in to feed her since we do have staff here 24/7, that way you don't have to take her home and worry about a place for her or your cat or anything like that."

Ashley nodded, understanding how important this was. I watched as she fed Rose, smiling and cooing at her as she did. The sun was setting, and the light filtering in gave her this ethereal glow, causing her brown hair to shine and her eyes to sparkle. She looked angelic. I hope Jackson is good to her. 

"Well, I got to help get some of the animals to bed, you two are more than welcome to stay here," mum said, getting up from her chair and patting me on the shoulder as she walked out. 

I wanted to say something, to tell Ashley how I feel or that I don't think Jackson is a good idea. Especially looking at her at this moment, how she cradles Rose, how the fading sunlight is shining on her. She deserves so much better, and I want to be the one to give that to her. But like Bindi and Chandler said yesterday, she is hard-headed and wouldn't believe me anyway.

Rose has finished her milk by now and fallen asleep, snuggled into Ashley's chest. 

"I don't want to move now," Ashley giggled. 

"I can call Dr Sam to come and take her from you, and you can head home for a few hours before having to come to feed her again," I offered.

"Oh, that would be great. I know it's only 7:00 now, but I'd like to go home and shower the saltwater off."

"Yeah let me go find her." 

Walking down the hall of the wildlife hospital, I looked for Dr Sam. I figured she'd be in one of the exam rooms somewhere.

I found her in one of the back exam rooms, putting some things away. 

"Hey Dr Sam, Rose fell asleep and Ashley doesn't want to move and wake her. Could you come and grab her so she can go home and shower and rest a bit?"