|Chapter Thirteen : Swaroski-The Shadow Creature|

▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎
Z A N D E R
▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎

I couldn't make sense of anything.

I couldn't even remember my name as I stared at Laira smiling at me. Her reddish-brunette hair was braided beautifully and swung over her right shoulder—the way she always kept them. Her blue eyes were on me filled with warmth.

She. . .she looks so real. As if she's really here.

"Laira." Her name rolled off my lips before I could stop myself.

I think a movement followed by the blue-haired siren with me but then I couldn't focus on anything other than my wife.

My late wife. . .

"Laira?" I called out again and her smile only grew.

My feet moved on their own accord and before I know it, I am walking past Marilla towards Laira. My heart was thundering in my chest from a mixture of fear, pain, confusion and hope.

Hope. . .somehow it hurt the most.

But I couldn't stop it from festering inside of me. My eyes stung as I grew nearer and she spread open her arms as if inviting me for an embrace.

The way she always did after I returned from court with my mother.

"L-laira. You l-look so real. So...alive." I stuttered halfway through it feeling my legs quiver as well.

"I could be if you stayed, Zan. I could be." Her eyes watered.

My steps faltered and it felt like someone threw cold water on me. Wasn't she right though? If only I stayed back that day, maybe Charlotte wouldn't have been able to kill Laira. Maybe mother would've never been taken.

"I. . ." My throat clogs up.

Laira shakes her head in return, "We waited for you, Zan. Me and. . ." Her hand flattens over her stomach, "Our baby."

My heart stops beating. No. Laira wasn't. . .

This is not true.

If it were, I would've never been able to forgive myself. Not that I'm still able to but it would've been much much worse. Although having our own baby was both of our dream when we got married.

'The illusions will show you things you either fear or desire the most. Just remember, they aren't true whatever they show you.'

Anthony's words reverberated in my head and despite the strong clenching of my heart at her words, I looked up at Laira.

It's just an illusion.

She's not real. She's not real. She's not fucking real, Zander. No matter how much you want her to be.

"You're not rea-" My words pause as Laira's form suddenly disappears.

I blink in shock at where she went to. Did the illusion end already? But then I hear a low whisper,

"Zan. . ." My head turns so fast towards the frightened voice, it's a wonder I don't wring it in the process.

What I see then is the most terrifying horror of my life. Laira stands stone still in Charlotte's clutches as she held a dagger to Laira's neck.

"No!" I flash in front of them in an instant but before I could reach them, they both disappear.

I blink in shock feeling my heart thunder way too fast in my chest and my head feels spinny. I look around the deserted cave. The grey stone semi-circular walls seemed as if closing in on me.