Track 13 | 𝗦𝗮𝗰𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗕𝗲𝗮𝘀𝘁

Start from the beginning

"Vic? No, he's a teddy bear," Ari disagreed, leaning back up and facing me. "I've known him for years, so I know when he's sarcastic and when he's not."

"I... I don't know when you're sarcastic," I stuttered, scratching the back of my head.

Ari began to laugh, looking at me intimately. "You're so cute, Northwest."

"What?" I blurted out, my cheeks going red. "...Was that sarcasm?"

"I'll let you decide," Ari remarked, turning his attention to the computer on the counter. "Hey, you can leave now, if you want. You caught me up, you don't have to tag along anymore."

"I... I like hanging out with you, though," I admitted.

"That's sweet," Ari smiled, typing something into the computer. Suddenly, two people approached the counter behind me, causing me to step aside and apologize once again. The two had acquired one record each and placed their items on the counter. Ari swiftly greeted them and scanned the items, typing onto the computer again. "But, seriously, all you're gonna do is watch me work for several hours," Ari continued the side conversation while simultaneously helping the customers with their purchase.

"I'm fine with that."

"If that's what you want," Ari winced, taking the money that one of the customers handed to him and putting it into the register. "Thank you, have a nice day," Ari told them as they took their bagged purchases and went on their way.

"Can I do my homework here?" I asked him.

"Yeah, if you wanna come behind the counter, you can sit in that chair," Ari suggested, nodding his head to a swivel chair that stood next to him, lower than his waist.

"I'm allowed to do that? Go behind the counter?"

"We can pretend you also work here."

I chuckled once again and walked over to the little entrance that the cheetah pointed out, joining him on the other side of the counter. I took my backpack off considerately, resting it on the floor, and sat down in the chair. I looked up to see my head was at the level of Ari's hips. He was facing the other way, which gave me a good view of his jeans and how tight they were around his... waist.

Ari then spun back around, causing me to immediately return to unpacking my bag. He watched as I unzipped the backpack and pulled out my notebook and folder, retrieving the packet that was due tomorrow. I set it on top of my legs and took out my pencil, ready to go to work. But, something was missing.

"Uh... I, kinda, work better with music playing..?" I told him, not wanting to sound rude.

"Do you want me to turn the music up?" Ari suggested, referring to the radio playing over the speakers, filling the store.

"I, uh... don't really like this song..." I squinted, wanting to be as polite as possible.

"What?!" Ari gasped, placing his paw on his hip in an offended stance. "You don't like Car Seat Headrest?"

"That's what this is?"

"That's my favorite band, idiot."

"Oh, sorry—"

"I'm kidding, don't worry," Ari snickered, going back to typing on the computer. "Everyone has different opinions about music. That's what's cool about it."

"So, this is your favorite band?" I wondered, paying attention to the song playing over the speakers.

"Well, I have several favorites, this is just one of them," Ari answered. "My favorite bands are... Hm, there's a lot... Car Seat Headrest, obviously, Nirvana, Twenty One Pilots, The Killers, Paramore, Lowertown, The Strokes, Of Monsters And Men, Vampire Weekend, that kind of shit."