She waited for Cate's lips to open, but the blonde stayed still. It was like she wasn't there. The anger, the confusion and the pain were all printed on the blonde's face and Sandra had to suck her own heart down to stop it from dying. Watching her lover crying with her as the sole reason was so painful. Sandra bent her head down, but she was shocked when Cate pulled over out of a sudden.

"Why did you stop?"

Cate gradually closed her eyes as she threw her head back against her seat, "I can't give you up." Her tears fell harder, "I can't give you up, baby." Her last sentence came out like a whisper.

Sandra's lips parted gradually. Cate came to a complete stop. The streets of Barcelona were deserted, and it was then that she noticed it began to rain. Nonetheless, the golden streetlights were illuminating the city. The moon and stars were also visible. There were only a few people leaving. Two lovers passed outside their car, holding hands as they ran away, most likely heading home. Sandra looked out the window, and her heart calmed as she realized where they were. The Basilica de la Sagrada Familia church stood in front of them. As the rain began to fall heavily, the lampposts on the streets began to flicker.

"Are we goi --"

Sandra wasn't able to finish her statement when the blonde opened the car and out she went. The rain was heavy, yet the blonde walked towards the church.

"Cate!" Sandra opened the car, "It's raining! You'll get sick!"

The blonde wiped her face, her hair and clothes wet with rain, "Come with me!"

Sandra went out and started following. The church door was open, but no one was inside. It was nearly midnight, and the rain was getting heavier. She ran to catch the blonde's pace, and when they were in front of the church's doorway, Cate turned and took Sandra's hand in hers, holding it silently. It was a hold of an unuttered I'm sorry.

Sandra's heart was warmed by the feel of Cate's hand against the her's. They were both wet from running under the rain, the cold air breezed through the church, but with Cate's hand holding her tightly, she felt fine and in that moment, she knew that wherever she would be in this world, Cate would search for her. Sandra's tears welled up for she knew that Cate would search for her in the crowds, among the faces of men who would offer her flowers and poetry. Even if there would be other women who would give Cate their still-beating hearts, Cate would choose to have Sandra's in her hand. She would have Sandra's heart with her whenever she go as she would look for her among every corners of this world.

Cate pulled her through her hand and Sandra sobbed when the blonde hugged her, trapping her between her arms as they both stood on the church's door. And finally, Cate whispered all the sweet nothings that Sandra so badly wanted to hear. In that moment, they knew that their hearts simply exist between the pages of each other's journals; between the pages of how they've met and how they've fallen in love. They existed among the alphabets of love letters tucked between pages. And forever, it would be them, both, against everyone, the law; it would be them against the world.

"Surrender to Him now."

Sandra broke the hug and looked at the blonde, "You won't let me surrender to the authorities? You won't have me confessed?"

"God, I can't lose you..." Cate mumbled as she cupped Sandra's face, "I cannot give you up, baby. But here, you can surrender. Talk to Him, please..."

Sandra nodded, but before she walked to kneel in one of the seats, she cupped the blonde's face and kissed her lovingly.

"Go... I'll be right beside you." The blonde smiled with tears on her face.

Sandra smiled and with her trembling hands, she held Cate's hand and together, they walked towards the front of the church and when they arrived in the centre, Sandra knelt down and with her eyes closed, she opened her heart and cried her apologies to the Lord. Cate stood behind Sandra as the brunette sobbed her heart's aches out. The church was so big, and Sandra's cries echoed around the space. It took her a few minutes before the brunette stood up and wiped her tears.

"I've prayed that --"

Cate took a step, "Marry me."

"What?" Sandra whispered in shock.

The blonde took her hands and squeezed it, "I said marry me."

"I will, baby. I will, but we have to --"

"Marry me now."

Sandra's lips parted.

"Marry me, right here, right now."

***