puppy love (tomarry)

american 50s au because i can't help myself. this oneshot is inspired by puppy love by paul anka.
here's a doodle of harry i drew up (: enjoy!

explicit content warning.

"Haven't got any money for the show then, Potter?" Draco said snidely, his lips pulled into a smirk. There's laughter from his friends- Pansy and Blaise.
A burning shame begins to pool into his cheeks, and he feels the urge to prove him wrong in every which way he can.

"Oh, I'll be there alright!"

Harry, after being egged on by a certain blond, sets out to see a rising singer perform live.
He doesn't even realize he's being stared at until he hears the whispers.

High school is nothing if not full of drama. It's why Harry preferred his old school, honestly. It had been quieter- much quieter. He doesn't mind it anymore though; he'd managed to meet some of his best friends throughout his four years. That was enough for him to excuse all the happenings around the school.

He just wished that certain people didn't have to exist at this particular institution.

It was a mediocre lunch, if Harry had anything to say about it. The other students are busy milling around the cafeteria, but he was busy picking at his greens, too reluctant to eat them. He hadn't even been going attention to anything around him until a voice startled him out of his thoughts.

"Harry." Hermione said sternly, squinting at Harry as he shoved peas around his tray.
"I know." He groaned, stabbing into the hard plastic of the tray, completely missing the green vegetable.

"I'll eat it for you." Ron whispered next to him, nudging his shoulder just when a girl tapped on Hermione's shoulder.

She turned her head, her full head of bouncy curls turning with her.
He could admire her for her behavior, she was only looking out for him, after all.

That's too bad, he thought.

Sneakily, Harry shifted over his tray while Ron quickly scooped it onto his. Harry pretended to finish shoveling them into his mouth right when Hermione turned back to them.
"Ugh- they got cold." He wrinkled his nose and drank from his milk carton.

Hermione beamed at him, her gaze softening in a motherly way. She turned back to whatever she'd been doing and looked back down, her gaze so focused on a book she'd taken out that she had entirely missed the two fists bump across the lunch table from her.