chapter five • the less i know the better

Mulai dari awal

"You're not wrong and I agree with you completely. But when you think about it, having a wife as hot as you wouldn't be all bad would it? Even if we do end up hating each other and sleeping in separate beds" he remarked, tone dripping in sarcasm to lighten the shift in atmosphere which he evidently had felt.

She was enjoying this way too much, it was extremely visual that he wasn't used to a female challenging him and not melting into his sensual words and fabricated wishes. And Scarlet knew better than to be exactly that, she wouldn't dare allow him to know how he discreetly affected her but instead portray herself as unfazed- calm and collected.

"I could think of many things that would be better than getting married to you Rafe, like buying a puppy or living in a giant treehouse somewhere isolated and quiet"

He'd be lying if he said he hadn't took slight offence this time, Rafe had always believed he was the perfect male that any farther would be happy to send off to marry their daughter. If it wasn't for the fact he didn't want the responsibility and he was slightly selfish, he doubted he would ever find someone that he would care about more than himself.

But he loved the fierce and brashness that Scarlet had to her, she was unlike anyone else he had ever met and attempted to get to know- they were either too sensitive or too clingy which immediately made Rafe feel trapped. And god knew he was already suffocated enough by his own torturing mind, so those sense of females were only good for one night he decided.

Yet the feeling that surfaced within when he had first met Scarlet had stuck, so had his perception and judgement which he had made.

She almost reminded him of himself. He grinned.

"You're really out to hurt my feelings today aren't you Scar?"

"I do try" the brunette disguised her grin by still starring out of the open window, relishing in the feeling of the cold air kissing her bare face.

But it wasn't entirely a lie, Scarlet had always dreamed of possessing a treehouse ever since she was young, her father promised herself and Lake he'd build one but once their mother fell ill he got immersed into deeper problems than piecing together some wood in the nearest tree.

She shook away those thoughts, feeling slight remorse in building up the familiar wall when the male was only playing with her as he usually would. Although he didn't seemed too bothered and knew she too was being un-genuine with her words, Scarlet regretted the steer of conversation she had chose which ended up back to her deceased mother. "So the Bahamas, why there? Why not Mexico or Greece?"

"That's where I heard all the money is" he wiggled his brows in a childish way, earning a giggle to escape Scarlets lips to his foreign mannerism.

It seemed she had never been exposed to this side of the dirty blonde, she was usually used to the flirtatious attitude and presumptuous comments which she related with him and became extremely fond of, but this was also nice to encounter, refreshing even. "Is money always on your mind Rafe?"

"Mostly" he hummed, meeting her alluring auburn hues with his own. "But then there's you"

Ah, there it is.

Scarlet couldn't refrain the beam that instantly got roped up at the ends of her glossed lips. "What a sweet talker" she marvelled, taking her bottom lips between her teeth in the way she learnt Rafe was pleasantly accustomed to, and this time she didn't shy away when his lustful gaze attached on to it- she kept it firmly stuck in place.

Swallowing harshly to push down his sinful thoughts that emerged to the action, Rafe nodded knowingly, placing his strong arm around the back of the seat in which Scarlet sat- two could definitely play that game.