Chapter 6

''Hey, you okay ?'' Oda went into the ward. ''Yeah I'm fine, it's just a bullet, no big deal ,'' Oda thought for a moment before speaking. ''Dazai, I called to inform Chuuya-kun juz now ,'' He stared at Dazai, seeking for his reaction. Dazai merely looked down and smiled as he replied softly. ''Is that so ?'' There was a moment of silence, then Dazai broke it.

''Odasaku ,'' He was still staring down. ''Do people like me deserve happiness ?'' ''Yeah you do ,'' Oda didn't hesitate. Dazai looked up at him, then he smiled and looked back down. ''You're such a nice person aren't you Odasaku ,''

*

Mori assigned Chuuya on a business travel again. It was a chance for him to momentarily get away from all the stress he's been under, but he couldn't get his troubles out of his head. Like all the previous nights, he barely slept. More days passed and his body couldn't take it anymore. He fell sick.

No one was there to take care of him. He had to make food for himself and continue on work. It didn't feel good, being sick wouldn't feel good. Sitting on the bed, he couldn't help but reminisce.

*FLASHBACK*

''Aaaa nooooooooooo!!'' Chuuya got off the bed and head to the kitchen. He found Dazai standing there, legs wide open like a crab, frozen. He was staring at the stove. ''What are you doing ?'' The brunet turned to look at Chuuya. ''Um... trying to make soup ?'' He let out a nervous chuckle. The liquid he called 'soup' was flowing down the countertop onto the floor, the side of the pot was coated with it. The kitchen was a complete mess.

''Okay you didn't see anything, juz be a good dog and wait in the room ,'' Dazai urged Chuuya back to the room by his shoulders and closed the door. Chuuya stood still facing the door. Then Dazai opened it and poked his head in. ''You didn't see anything ,'' He grinned before closing it again.

''Oh shoot !'' Clanking noises came from the kitchen. ''Aaa wait--no no wait !'' More clanking. ''Aww you've got to be kidding me ,''

Chuuya heard all that. Dazai must've dropped the kitchen utensils trying to clean the place up. ''Pftt--'' Chuuya burst out laughing. He wasn't feeling good, he felt dizzy and nauseous, but his brunet trying so hard just to make a simple soup for him was just too funny.

*PRESENT*

Chuuya chuckled lightly. ''Idiot ,'' Back then he was sick, but he was happy, because Dazai was there with him, trying his best to take care of him even if that's one of the things he could barely manage to do himself. A sense of bitterness came across Chuuya, he could feel his nose sting.

Right now, he was left alone, but he had no one to blame except himself.

I bet you really hate me now, don't you ?

*

Chuuya looked at the clock. He was at the hotel when his phone rang. Before he could say anything, the caller spoke. ''Chuuya-san! Dazai-san's missing !'' Chuuya froze. ''What do you mean he's missing ?''

''I don't know, we were on a mission together and all of a sudden I couldn't find him I tried calling him but it didn't wor--'' ''Slow down Akutagawa, slow down ,'' Akutagawa was worried. He's usually cool and quiet towards people, but when it came to his mentor he couldn't keep his cool.

''Hold on, I'll inform the boss ,'' Chuuya hung up and dialed in Mori's number. ''Boss, Dazai's missing ,'' ''Mm he's not missing, Chuuya-kun. I think he left the mafia ,'' Chuuya's heart sank. ''What ?'' ''Sakaguchi Ango betrayed the mafia, and Oda Sakunosuke died, that might be the reason Dazai-kun decided to leave. I heard they had been close ,''

Oda is... dead ?

Chuuya knew how much Oda meant to Dazai, they were close friends. As far as Chuuya knew, Oda was the only mafia member who hadn't killed a single person, that's why he remained in the lower rank of the mafia. His kindness was something any other mafia member lacked, they were mafia members, after all. That's the reason why he was a special friend to Dazai.

The contrary to Dazai whose hands were soaked in blood, Oda was a man who took orphans under his wing. That's why Dazai was attracted to him, like how the devil was attracted to a kind-hearted mortal.

''Chuuya-kun, I suggest you not to look for him. If Dazai-kun doesn't want to be found, even the government wouldn't be able to find him ,'' Mori hung up. Chuuya called Akutagawa. ''Akutagawa, stop looking ,'' ''What? Why? He could be in danger, I will find out his whereabouts and save h--'' ''He left the mafia ,'' He broke the news to Akutagawa without mercy.

''... no that's impossible. Why would he do that ?'' Chuuya sighed and sat down. ''Boss said that it might be because of Oda's death ,'' ''Oda... Odasaku? The man Dazai-san said I wouldn't be able to surpass even after a hundred years ?'' What he said only reminded Chuuya of how much Dazai looked up to Oda. ''Chuuya-san... should we juz let him go ?''

... let him... go...

The phrase 'let him go' hit Chuuya hard. Now that Dazai's left, he didn't know if it was kind of a closure to everything. He wasn't sure if he should be stubborn and find the brunet, or he should just forget about everything, forget about him, let him go.

''It's fine Akutagawa, you won't be able to find him if he doesn't want to be found anyways ,'' Akutagawa sounded disappointed when he hung up the phone.

Dazai, you must be devastated...

The betrayal of both the one he loved and his best friend, the death of the man he looked up to like a big brother, Chuuya figured that Dazai didn't have any reason to stay in the mafia anymore. At the end, he left, and Chuuya didn't even get a chance to at least apologize.

Is this... where we part our ways and never meet again ?