Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"To the, to the team?" Peter asks.

"Are you serious?" I ask.

"Yeah, anyway, there's about 50 reporters behind that door. Real ones, not bloggers. And when you're ready... why don't you try these on." Tony taps his watch and then the doors to a cradle open, revealing an iron spider suit. "And I'll introduce the world to the newest official members of the Avengers: Spider-Man and the Dark Dahlia."

I walk to the cradle, alongside Peter. Upon closer inspection, I see a small tech bracelet that looks much like my old one. I pick it up and send my dad a questioning look.

"Put it on," he says.

I do as he says and the second I clasp it around my wrist, I feel different. "What is this?"

"It's an advanced version of physiotherapy."

"Are you saying I'm psychotic?"

"No, I'm saying that unlike the PTSD you received from Hydra that made your powers... untamed, to say the least, the trauma you received this time has given you a mental block that holds you back from using your powers. This will help manage that."

"How?"

"Remember the spell you did to hide your identity?"

"Yeah..."

"Try it."

Not confident this will work, but hoping with all of my heart that it does, I close my eyes, raising my crossed arms above my head. I take a deep breath and bring them down slowly. I feel a suit cover my body, much like the nano tech suit that my dad has been working on does to him.

When I open my eyes, I see that the suit I'm wearing is different from my last. This one is a tank top with long gloves that leave my fingers exposed. The chest piece is protective and the tight pants are flexible. The boots reach just below the knee and are comfortable. A floor length flap is attached to the back around my waist, making it look somewhat like a dress from behind. And, like my last, this suit is black. The best part is that I don't even have to bother taking it on or off, I just have to use my powers.

"Gracee, you look amazing," Peter says, staring at me in awe.

"She does, doesn't she?" Tony says. "Now, after the press conference, Happy will show you to your new room... Your new quarters. Where's he between? He's next to Vision?"

"Yeah, Visions not big on doors," Happy says.

"It's fun," says Tony.

"Or walls," Happy adds.

"You'll fit right in."

"Thank you, Mr. Stark. But I'm good," Peter says.

"You're good? Good? How are you good?"

"Well, I mean, I'd rather just stay on the ground for a little while. Friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Somebody's gotta look out for the little guy, right?"

"You're turning me down? You better think about this. Look at her." He points to me as I smile at Peter, knowing he's making the best choice for both of us. "Look at me. Last chance, yes or no?"

"No. To the suit, not no to Gracee."

"Okay, yeah, I got it. It's kind of a Sprigsteen-y, working class hero vibe that I dig. Happy will take you home."

"Actually, do you think he can stay here for a little bit so we can hang out?" I ask.

"Sure."

"Thanks, Dad. For everything." I kiss his cheek.

"Thank you, Mr. Stark," says Peter.

"Yeah, very well. Oh, and G... you're going to Midtown starting next Monday."

"What?!" Peter and I both yell.

"How are they more excited about this than being Avengers?" Happy asks.

"Thank you so much, Dad!"

"Thank you so much, Mr. Stark."

"Don't thank me, you deserve it."

Peter and I both walk up the stairs, but before we round the corner, Peter turns back around. "That was a test, right? There's nobody back there?"

"Yes, you passed. Now skedaddle there, young buck. You guys have fun."

"We will!" we say in unison.

"Not too much fun!"

I know that there has to be a room full of reporters, but I don't tell Peter that because I know it would make him feel bad. I'm glad he made the mature decision because I know it was the right thing to do. The time will come for us to be the newest official members of the Avengers, but that time isn't now.

I have other priorities right now, like learning to control my powers. I have them back, so I guess after everything that happened, I'm still untamed. And when worst comes to worst, I know that I will always have my family by my side. I will always have Peter by my side and I will always be Gracee Stark. The next time something terrible is unleashed, I will be ready.