Unanswered Questions

Start from the beginning

Ripped from his thoughts, Michael's face tensed up again as the sound of the dinner bell rang through his ears. "Hey, guys! Dinner time, let's go!" Kurt's voice yelled out. Just like that, everyone was sprinting back into the Mess Hall.

"Nurse Lanes daughter killed 7 people."

"Her daughter was Ruby Lane."

"She was clearly possessed... just like her crazy daughter."

"Sarah Fier strikes again."

"How does the witch choose them?"

"It's crazy."

"Do you think Color War is going to be cancelled?"

"It better not, it starts tonight!"

"Psycho Shadysiders always fucking ruin everything!"

The rumors and chatter went on and on around the table Michael now sat at, along with the other Shadyside counselors. He now sat beside Tommy and Cindy with Gary and Joan joining them with the remaining seats left. Michael hadn't touched his food since he sat down, he only found himself taking small sips of his glass of water.

"She said one way or another, I was gonna die tonight," Tommy said, Michael noticing that Tommy hadn't touched his food either. At least he wasn't the only one feeling off.

"Spooky!" Gary said in a creepy voice, waving his hands around Tommy like a ghost in cliche horror movies.

"The kiddos are right," Joan butted in, sprinkling the remaining bits of weed into her small piece of rolling paper that had yet to be completed. "This is total witch behavior."

"It's just, there must be some explanation, the witch isn't real!" Cindy argued, shaking her head. She looked as if she was trying to convince herself rather than the others. Michael didn't necessarily blame her.

"Like what?" Tommy asked, his eyes droopy as he spoke.

"Well, maybe..." Cindy drifted off as she glanced over to Joan, her eyes widening as she realized what she was doing. Michael expected her to scold Joan, but she seem relieved. "Maybe she was on something!"

"You do know that drugs aren't the answer to everything right? I mean, sure she had access to them but, it wasn't like she popped pills in her free time," Michael explained. It couldn't be that simple, Nurse Lane didn't seem like one to take drugs. Not to him at least.

"Drugs are peaceful, not violent." Joan said, practically mesmerized as she rolled the small piece of paper up into a thin cylinder.

"I'm not talking about marijuana!" Cindy snapped, rolling her eyes as she turned back to Michael and Tommy.

"Just admit that you're jealous that the witch wanted your hubby all to herself!" Gary said, giving a playful smile as he wrapped his arms tightly around Tommy's shoulders.

Tommy however, quickly pushed Gary away and huffed softly. "Be serious, man! Why would Nurse Mary want to do something like that? Why would she- why would she want me dead?" he questioned, turning to Michael for some form of backup.

"She wouldn't, that's the thing." Michael quickly said. However, Gary and Joan still couldn't take anything seriously.

"But the witch might!" they said in unison, starting to make creepy noises and reach out towards each other as they laughed together.