Beautiful Things Never Last

The sky was crying when the Vigilante Yaksha first met Mei.

Perhaps a bad omen, but Xiao had never believed in those sorts of things anyway. All he knew was the glistening shine of the moon on blood, stripes of red covering dead bodies of demons. Trifling superstitions held no sway over a demon like him.

Mei had approached him, slowly, quietly, but not quietly enough that he couldn't hear her walking behind him. Her noble training was good, but he was the Conqueror of Demons.

The Conqueror of Demons, returning from exterminating demons afflicted by karmic debt, had been weary, and not willing to speak with mortals. He found that their trivial requests and endless begging tired him, and dealing with humans required energy that the Vigilante Yaksha would rather spend on keeping Liyue safe, so those same mortals could continue on with their insignificant lives.

Amber eyes narrowed at the small, slender, and quiet girl staring at him, he brushed her off at first, dismissing Mei as simply a spoiled girl wishing for one night of lust. It wasn't like he hadn't accepted a few requests from men and women before, needing to sate his own needs, but Xiao was too tired tonight.

Instead of returning back home, Mei moved forward, eyes fixed daringly on the Conqueror of Demons. She held out a Sigil of Permission, a rare sight in those days. Xiao had stopped and turned back towards her, full of confusion. Why did a common girl have a Sigil of Permission?

Mei, noticing the confusion in his eyes, told the Vigilante Yaksha that she was a noble girl, raised by one of the finest families in Liyue. Xiao had started to turn away, expecting a monologue of bragging about noble this and wealthy that. He had seen these people before, desperate to gain a sliver of favor from adepti.

"Wait—" Mei called.

"Tell me your name." The Conqueror of Demons asked.

"It's Mei."

"Mei."

The sound, an uncommon single syllable, slipping off his tongue like a drop of honey. He had to admit, it was a beautiful name. Maybe he would whisper it to himself tonight, to lull him to sleep, to shy away from the nightmares.

"I'm running away." Mei said, the sound blurting out of her mouth. The Vigilante Yaksha raised an eyebrow, unamused. "I can't handle the noble life anymore. It's so stifling, and I'm not valuable to my father anyway."

Xiao leveled a look at Mei.

"Yes?" He asked. For some reason, he found himself listening attentively to her voice, clear and bright.

"I traveled out of Liyue, and was following the path, when I saw some Millelith up ahead. I was trying to avoid them, since any ranking member of the Millelith would surely report me to my father, and he would send somebody to come and get me soon. So, I took a small detour, and ended up in the middle of these plains."

"Are you lost?" Xiao asked. His voice came out harsh, unforgiving, impatient, and Xiao instantly found himself wishing he hadn't spoken like that. Mei slid back slightly, her eyes growing wide and afraid and wary.

"A little bit," Mei said, the edge of her words trailing off. "Is there any shelter nearby?"

"We're about 500 meters away from Wangshu Inn." the Conqueror of Demons said, raising his gaze towards the rainy sky. "I believe you can walk there on your own."

"I'm afraid not." Mei said, some color returning to her cheeks. As if startled, Xiao realized she was soaking wet, black hair pressed against her shoulders, eyelashes dipped in dewdrops. "I ran into a few hilichurls since I strayed a bit off the path. Unfortunately, my foot was injured during my escape."