Nevermore (A short story)

April 1, 2011

Hi guys! Happy April Fools Day! Please vote! (: My next story, Jump., will be finished probably sometime at the end of this month at the earliest, so be on the lookout for that! Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it!

____________________________________________________________________________

                                                                       Nevermore

Ever since I was a little girl, I had always been interested in the woods behind our house. It grew the most beautiful flowers and trees; but I had always known there was some kind of evil lurking behind that mask of beauty, and I was determined to find out what.

            As I was heading to the back door, I passed a picture of my sister and I. We had our arms around each others’ shoulders and had our black hair pulled up into a pony tail. We were at basketball camp that year, but I really didn’t want to be there, even though there was a smile on my 12 year old face. My sister had always been a show-off, so I avoided trying to compete with her, but she insisted. She was my mother’s favorite, and I was my father’s. Ever since she left and my father passed away, I was alone. Well, except for my mother, but I never really counted her as family.

            I continued making my way to the back door when my mother stopped me.

            “Where do you think you’re going?” She asked with a glare.

            “I’m going for a walk, if it’s any of your business,” I shot back.

            She gasped her typical over-dramatized gasp. “Amelia Stillwater, is that any way to talk to your mother?”

            I glared at her. “When I’m talking to you, then yes. Now, the sun is starting to set, and I don’t want to walk in the dark alone.” I pushed past her before she could stop me.

            When I entered the woods, I was instantly freaked out. It was really dark, to the point where I had to stick my arms out to ensure I wasn’t going to bump into anything.

            As I went deeper, I felt a presence, so I stopped.

            “Who’s there?” I called out, trying to sound fierce, but my voice came out small.

            Nothing happened for the first few moments, but then I heard a super loud squeal. At first I thought I had stepped on something, but then things started to get lighter. It wasn’t long before I could see again, and when I could, I gasped at what I saw.

            It wasn’t just the woods anymore, this place was heaven. There was a pond that was made of a pretty mauve color, flowers that blew bubbles, trees that bore huge fruit, and animals that looked like they were made from the gods.

            I was so absorbed in looking at everything that when I heard a voice, I jumped.

            “Hi,” it said, its voice small and high-pitched. “Who are you?”

            Before I could reply, another squeal came, and things got darker again. I was confused why this happened again, when it had just gotten lighter a few seconds ago, so I attempted to find out what was happening.

            “Hello?” I called out. “Is anybody there? Can someone please tell me what’s going on?”

            I heard a few snickers, and one loud laugh before things began to get lighter again. But this wasn’t the place I was in a few seconds ago; this place was much, much worse.