CHAPTER IX: switching lanes

⋆🏁⋆

⋆🏁⋆

══════ PAST ══════

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

🛑     TW : mentions of manipulation.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

" YOU'RE GOOD TO GO. " y/n said, tapping at the roof of the race car after fixing it. dream spared them a simple glance before paying attention in front of him, revving the engine. y/n just sighed and walked away, going to the side of the pits.

you watched dream's car speed off with a bit of a neutral expression, not really knowing how to feel. ever since the whole incident where you switched over to king's side, dream has been cold to you. he stopped responding to your texts and calls, and when he did, he was extremely dry and bitter sounding, obviously signaling that he didn't wanna speak with you.

so you decided to back off. even though it still hurt, you reciprocated his attitude and stopped talking to him... until now. sapnap kept reminding you that dream was just an extremely stubborn man and there was no helping it. "i know dream loves you to death. he can't keep you off to the side for that long." you remembered sapnap telling you. "he'll come around. just give it time. i promise you he really misses having you. he just doesn't wanna show it."

following sapnap's word, you thought maybe gradually making up for what's been happening would be a step closer to rekindling your friendship with dream, doing this by beginning to work with him again. despite the abundance of money that you were being paid when working for king, you realized that maybe it was weird. it was bizarre how quick you make the decision to switch over. was it really for the money? you always thought back on dream's words the day he yelled at you.

you also began to notice the way king would treat you, attempting to spend more time with you while working, and when you went off to someone else or pried your attention away from him, he'd seem fed up. the same thing was happening with wilbur too, him and king passing by each other like they were utter rivals. it was beginning to dawn on you that working in this position between king and wilbur was probably an odd thing.. and not in the best way.

it was hard to think that the two guys would manipulate you though. you wanted to deny that fact but maybe.. just maybe you had to face it. so here you are, putting up with dream's behavior. your eyes watched with intent as dream's car made it over the finish line, this time going ahead of wilbur, causing his name to dominate the leaderboard. wilbur gripped harshly at the steering wheel and groaned in frustration, realizing that he was gonna start losing races.