Voldemort carefully took in Potter’s expressions, and how he chose his words, and it was obvious to Voldemort that Potter was playing it up a bit for Barty, was throwing out a bit of bait to see if Barty would bite. But that was not unexpected if Potter was a true dark wizard who suddenly found himself stuck in a world where only light magic was seen as legitimate and desired.

The next memory was that of Potter joining Dumbledore for lunch in the Great Hall. Barty sat on Dumbledore’s other side, so while he mostly kept to himself for the meal, he did still overhear all that was said between Potter and Dumbledore.

And while the conversation between those two was comprised entirely of utterly tedious small-talk, Voldemort did still learn a very important thing.

Potter did not trust Dumbledore one bit. Didn’t even seem to like him much, Voldemort was sure.

Every time Dumbledore tried to entice Potter to divulge a little more information, to open up just a bit more, Potter expertly looped the conversation back to polite small-talk as one might expect between two strangers.

Potter absolutely knew what he was doing. This was no naïve young man who barely knew how to hold a wand. This was a powerful man who knew how to navigate unwelcome social situations with ease while giving nothing of importance away.

Oh, Voldemort found himself utterly intrigued by this man. And extremely curious what kind of life Potter had led in the mystery world that had given him the experience needed to act the way he did now.

“Thank you, Barty,” Voldemort said as he pulled away from the pensieve. “That was most illuminating.”

“Wasn’t it just?” Barty said with a cackle, leaning back in the chair in front of Voldemort’s desk where he’d been waiting. “I told you he was dark! I just knew it, that magic he used when he first showed up was as dark as can be.”

“It certainly seems that way.” Voldemort sat down behind his desk and folded his hands so he could rest his chin on them while he stared ahead, deep in thought. “I want you to draw him out a little more, Barty. See how much Potter is willing to admit about using dark magic.” Voldemort looked at Barty with narrowed eyes. “And I want you to see what you can find out about Severus’ deal with Dumbledore. We need to know what side Severus is actually loyal to.”

“To tell it true, my Lord, I think only Snape knows the real answer to that question,” Barty replied with a snort.

Voldemort chuckled and then nodded in agreement. “You make a good point. You may go, Barty.”

With a bow Barty left the office and Voldemort leaned back in his chair. It seemed that his plans for the future would need to be adjusted.

00000000000

“Excuse me?” Lily demanded with a glare while both Fleamont and Henry rushed over to join Harry and James so they, too, could admire the invisibility cloak. “We just got news Voldemort is back and all you suddenly care about is your stupid invisibility cloak?”

“My dear child,” Henry said, looking completely aghast by Lily’s accusations. “Have a care. This is Ignotus Peverell’s cloak, given to him by death himself!”

Lily’s mouth fell open in a way that seemed to indicate she only now realized what kind of family exactly she’d married into. “Unbelievable,” Lily said to no one in particular. “Fucking unbelievable.”