A Reality Shattered

"There is no way Hagrid is Slytherin's Heir," (Y/N) said defiantly. It was the following morning when the four of them started to discuss what Harry had told them about what he'd seen in the Diary.

"I know what I saw, what Riddle showed me," Harry defended the Diary.

"What Riddle wanted you to see, you mean," (Y/N) fired back.

"Come on, (Y/N), Riddle got an award for catching the one responsible," Harry reminded.

"(Y/N) could be right," Hermione said, "Riddle might have got the wrong person. Maybe it was some other monster attacking people and not an Acromantula?" Hermione had done her best to hide any trace of her crying the previous night, or any heartache she still felt. It definitely worked, because no one was asking her if she was okay or whatever, and she was completely okay with that.

"How many monsters can this place hold?" Ron asked.

"Okay, look..." (Y/N) said, "You said in the Diary, you saw the spider scurry out of the castle?" Harry nodded, "So why would the Heir write that the Chamber has been opened again?"

"Maybe to throw us off his or her trail?" Harry asked.

"You met Hagrid down in Knockturn Alley, didn't you, Harry?" Ron asked.

"Yeah, he said he was buying Flesh-Eating Slug repellent," Harry said quickly.

They all fell silent, 'Hagrid didn't open that Chamber, that much I'm certain of... but if he didn't, then who did?'

After a long pause, Hermione voiced the knottiest question of all in a hesitant voice, "Do you think we should go and ask Hagrid about it all?"

"That'd be a cheerful visit," Ron said, " 'Hello Hagrid. Tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?'."

"Mad 'n' Hairy? You wouldn' happen tae be talkin' about me now would yeh?" Hagrid asked, coming up behind them.

"Hagrid!" Harry said in a surprised voice.

"No, no we, uh... we were talking about the Werewolf in Lockhart's book..." (Y/N) said, covering their previous discussion.

"Well, we'll come and see you later, Hagrid, but we've got to get going," Hermione said quickly.

"A'right, you lot stay out of trouble now, eh?" He gave a hearty laugh and walked off.

They all let out a held breath in unison. It was now nearly four months since the attack on Justin and Nick, and nearly everyone seemed to think the attacker, whoever it was, had retired for good. (Y/N) knew better and knew this wasn't over yet. Peeves had also got bored of singing his song for Harry and Ernie had even mustered up the courage to politely ask Harry to hand him a bucket of leaping toads in Herbology.

In March, several of the Mandrakes threw a loud and raucous party in Greenhouse Three, which delighted Professor Sprout, "The moment they start trying to move into each other's pots, we'll know they are fully mature," she told them, "then we will be able to revive those poor people and Mrs. Norris."

The Second Years were given something new to think about as well during their Easter Holidays. The time had come for them to choose their subjects for the third year, a matter that (Y/N) and Hermione took very seriously. When she saw that Harry and Ron weren't being as serious about it, she got testy with them, "It could affect our whole future, the classes we choose for next year."

"I just want to give up Potions," Harry lamented.

"Well, it's one of the Seven Core classes and is mandatory all the way through Fifth year," (Y/N) pointed out.