Chapter 11: Closer

Start from the beginning

"I'm not very hungry," I tell him, but my traitor stomach decides to growl again on its own accord, "Plus isn't the cafeteria closed?" I ask him in hopes to have him stop and let me go, well maybe not that last part, but I really don't want to face anyone right now.

"Who said we're going to the cafeteria?" He asks me, ignoring my 'I'm not hungry comment' and giving me a knowing look.

Instead of continuing straight towards the cafeteria Jared makes a right turn down a a hallway. He slows his pace so I'm no longer being dragged behind him but walking next to him, his hand still attached to mine. We come to a stop in front of a set doors and I know what is happening now. I pull away from Jared, my hand instantly feeling cold but I brush that off and look at him straight in the eyes. A frown covers his face but it is gone as fast as it came.

"I can't skip," I tell him and stand back as he opens the door. He leans against it and shoves his hands in his pockets. He looks down now and smiles at me genuinely.

"And why not?" He chuckles lightly.

"Because I can't?" I say immediatly but I think it comes out more like a question. I really shouldn't be skipping class on my first week.

"You're going to have to try harder than that, Stella."

I can't think of any valid reason why I wouldn't want to skip besides the obvious. All I can think of now are the reasons why I want to. In that moment I decide to go against that little voice in the back of my head telling me to be a good student. I really wish it would shut up in the first place.

"Okay. Let's go." I say defeated, giving in way to easily for my liking.

Jared looks suprised at my decision, but wastes no time in holding the door open for me. He doesn't make a move to hold my hand again and I can't help the shot of dissapointment that runs through me. I step through the doorway out into the cold autumn weather.

We walk across the parking lot until we come to a stop in front of Jared's truck. I go around to the side and am about to open the door when Jared grabs the handle and opens it for me.

"You don't have to that," I tell him.

"I want to," he shrugs looking down at me intently. I see his gaze finds mine and then looks lower for a second at my lips. From the corner of my eye I see Jared's hand coming towards my face, I feel his thumb skim underneath my eye and over my cheek bone, his hand lingering for a second before he drops his hand. I close my eyes and before I do something I regret I slip into the bench of the truck. Jared momentarily pauses for a second outside before he shuts the door and crosses over to his side. I still feel his touch on my face from where he wiped the tears away. Slipping inside the truck he starts the engine up, turning the heat on full blast.

"Seat belt?" He motions for me to put mine on, which I do.

Why is he doing all of this? He barely knows me at all and he's already holding doors open and cutting class with me. I hate to question whatever intentions he has but it's kind of hard not to. Boys that look like him never have pure intentions and I think I need to remember that.

He pulls out of the school parking lot and starts down a road I don't know.  I don't really know any road around here  for that matter. 

"So, where are we going?" He turns to look at me for a second before he focuses his attention back on the road.

"To eat." He replies.

"Where though?" I ask.

"Where they sell food," He grins.

"You must find yourself pretty amusing,  don't you?"

Jared just flashes me a coy smile and continues driving. I really want to know where we're going.  I was always way too curious for my own good.