1 MILLION Q&A (2)

SERENDIPITY

(SPOILERS BELOW)

Q: How did you manage to think of all the non canon things and build them up so well? This really applies to the whole series.

A: Thank you! So "Serendipity" was the first Marauders Era fanfic I ever wrote. I knew I had to work out how I pictured the characters in my mind first. Once I did that, it was really easy to imagine all of the trouble they'd get up to at school. Character creation is my favorite part of writing. I truly love writing three-dimensional characters that can stand on their own feet and take control of the narrative. I hope I've done that here.

Q: I love how you captured Eva and Sirius' relationship. Did you have an inspiration, and if so, who or what was it?

A: To me, Eva and Sirius represented young love. They were the people Molly and Arthur were talking about when they said that people were marrying young in times of war because they didn't know if they had a tomorrow. I wanted to capture the innocence and passion of that in their relationship.

Just for fun, a few Evarius songs

-She's Got a Way by Billy Joel
-We Were by Keith Urban
-Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift
-You and Me by Niall Horan
-Somebody to Love by Queen
-Brandy by Looking Glass
-Tiny Dancer by Elton John
-Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi

Q: I want to know how in the world you managed to capture the essence and character of the Marauders so well given that there is so little information given about them!

A: That is such an amazing compliment, thank you! I really hope I did justice to this world that we all created together. Let's be real: the Marauders fandom was created solely by fans. We came up with so much simply because we loved the idea of such a pure friendship between four boys. I think that is truly awesome.

To me, the "essence" of the Marauders is a feeling. It's driving down the highway with the music blaring, only to crash. It's "nothing lasts forever, but this is getting good now" (borrowed your phrase, Taylor). It is youthful recklessness and young love and true bravery and faint rays of hope.

Oh, and it all happens in the 70s, so it's fight scenes and rock music.

Q: Also, Marlene the Queen! Lily, Eva, and Kriss!!! How do you write such bold and vibrant female characters!??!!

A: First of all, thank you! It feels really good to hear that, because I've always felt like I've written stronger male characters, and I've always been worried that my female characters aren't up to par.

I wanted my leading ladies to all be different but strong in their own ways. They each have qualities that I admire. I love Eva's optimism and undying loyalty, Kriss' soft nature and intelligence, Lily's bravery and true love for her family, and Marlene's boldness and spirit. I think that the girls really grew into their own as the story progressed, and I'm weirdly proud of them all.

Q: How did you create Eva?

A: Eva's creation is interesting because I saw her before I knew her. In the planning stages of "Serendipity", the Marauders came first. I knew Sirius was in love, and I knew he was staring at the curly blonde across from him on the Hogwarts Express.  But who was she? I had absolutely no idea. I just knew that she was the kind of person that could make Sirius Black fall head-over-heels in love without even trying.