Ch 1: Gilbert Returns

Welcome, Anne with an E lovers,

This is my 4th AWAE book! And I am super excited to share it with you. The chapters make up a storyline, however for any chapters that coincide with a specific episode from the series I have noted it in the chapter heading, so you could read them alone if you please. This book follows some of Gilberts best moments (in his POV) within the storyline of the Netflix series. 

Have a wonderful day, enjoy! Let me know what you think

Gilbert Blyth watched the trees through the murky window. After visiting new horizons and distant towns, it felt strangely deflating to recognise Prince Edward Island scenery. Unfortunately, it held its own rugged beauty, but it felt that his father's sickness would suddenly meet them as they walked into the musky entrance of the Blyth family home. He found himself wishing for one more day, where their worries could be left behind.  Alas, they sat eagerly waiting for their arrival at the Avonlea train station. "Are you ready father?" Gilbert asked the old man who sat across from him. He noticed the man's cheeks pull up into a soft grin. Strained, but at least his cheeks held colour and his eyes happiness. That was all he could wish for on days like this.

They had become experts of disembarking with Gilbert asi sting his father out and then retrieving the luggage. With his cane, Mr Blyth could manage to hobble towards the waiting cart. They had written back to Mr Lynd who happily offered to take them back to their home. The man approached quickly and assisted Mr Blyth into the cart. He was gracious for all the friends they had on the islands, he couldn't think of anyone who would not offer them assistance.

"How was it then? Mrs Lynd says that one must not travel too far for amusements. She was mighty glad to have seen your letter arrive Gilbert, my boy. You know how she worries.  So I told her, said I, you would return with better spirits than when you left. I daren't say I was right" the blabber in was comforting after spending so long in silence. The snow-covered landscape and dry trees, we're not the most gracious of welcomes but as their stone house appeared in the distance, he couldn't help but feel happy to finally be home.

It was a surprise to see a fire dwindling in the fireplace and Rachel Lynd embroidering a cussing cover. She stood with a smile and ushered Mr Blyth to the armchair by the hearth. "A cup of tea is what you need" she hummed, before getting to it.  While she worked she began to mumble about all that they had missed. "The Cuthberts have taken in a child to help with the farm work. To their dismay, they sent a girl instead of a boy. But Mathew would not let her go, so they are now keeping her. They hardly realise how troublesome it is to raise a girl. Especially that one, awful red hair, and a retched temper she has on her." The news of a potential new student in his class sparked an interest. After growing up with a small group, it would be nice to have a new face. He caught himself before he inquired about her age. He did not want to show too much attention to the new student.

The Lynd's stayed for dinner, a hearty rabbit stew before returning to their own home. After getting his father settled in his room. Gilbert stands at the pile of dishes in the dark candlelit room. It had been the first time that month that he found himself alone. Somehow, tears accumulated in his eyes as he held coldness wrap around him. Without his father here, there would be nothing. He was foolish to know that he could take care of their apples, his father and attend school all at the same time. But his heart knew that he at least had to try.

Wiping his sniffling nose with the back of his sleave he began scrubbing plates clean. Ignoring the blurred vision, he continued until his fingers were ringed and numb from the cold water. He hadn't even realised how puffy his eyes appeared until he passed the mirror on his way to his room. He watched his Dark eyes twitch in surprise as he tried to recognise himself. His hair had grown longer than he expected, his eyes looked grey and dark, blending into his pale skin. Wiping his eyes one final time, he pushed his tired body up the stairs towards his bedroom. The musky smell met him, as he pulled his clothes off and slid into clean underclothes and into his bed. His body strained against the mechanical movements, the bed felt too cold, the room felt too quiet. His body felt ridged under the cold blankets.

Sleep did not meet him, instead, the sound of the wind howling through leaves and owl hoots kept him company, until finally, his eyes closed in a peaceful lull. He found the thought of making a new acquaintance something to look forward to. Behind all the solemn looks he would revive from everyone else, the thought of red hair in a world of darkness fled his mind as he fell asleep.