Chapter 1

When Hyewon received a call from her eccentric father, who had been away for more than a year traveling the world, the first thing that came out of her mouth was—

“Hell no, dad. Over my dead body.”

She almost threw her phone out the window of her luxurious penthouse suite, because her father, whom she had missed rather dearly, just blurted out an absurd request.

“No! I will not marry your long lost best friend’s daughter!”

‘But Hyewonie,’ he said with so much aegyo a man his age shouldn’t have, ‘I thought you said you were gay?’

“Dad, this has nothing to do with my gender!” She yelled on the phone as she ran her hand in between her golden locks frustratingly. “I will not agree to this arranged marriage thing!”

‘But Hyewooooon—’

Hyewon didn’t even bother ending the call and just chucked her phone over the veranda, rubbing her temples as she went back inside her spacious living room.

She threw herself on her expensive leather couch and groaned before punching the cushion out of frustration.

“Ugh! I can’t believe this!”

Ring.

Her house phone rang and she eyed the thing suspiciously.

Ring.

Ring.

Hyewon sighed and pressed the speaker phone button.

Click.

‘Ooooooooooooooooo—’

“Oh my god, dad, stop it! You’re too old for this!”

Hyewon held her house phone and screamed at it like a fool, throwing the thing back on the side table with a loud clank.

‘But Hyewon,’ his father’s voice rang clearly from the speaker phone, ‘She’s your type! You’ll like her, I’m sure of it!’

“You don’t even know my type, dad! You haven’t even met any of my exes!”

‘Yes, I did!’

“Name one.”

The line went silent for a moment, with Hyewon staring at the phone. Seconds went by, and just when she thought the line went dead, her goof of a father spoke with so much pride, she could feel it slapping her on the face.

‘I met Jaehee!’

“Jaehee is my best friend, what’s wrong with you!”

‘What, really?’

“Yes!” Hyewon screamed again before sighing. “You need to stop this, dad. I love you but this is too much. I’m not marrying a stranger!”

‘That’s why you’re going to meet her first, silly Hyewon! Then you’ll fall in love at first sight, accept the arrangement and get married!’

“No!”

‘Please, please, do this for daddy, pleeeaaaasssseee—’

“Dad, no!”

Hyewon heard a sigh from the other line and she smiled, feeling a little victorious. Her dad sighing could only mean one thing, defeat.

‘Okay,’ he said dejectedly and it made her smile grow bigger.

Sweet victory, Hyewon thought happily.

‘I’ll make you a deal you’ll never refuse!’