1| There Are No Monsters Here

Anything worth doing starts as a bad idea.

Risotto tries to remind himself this as he ventures deep into vampire-infested woods, barren of any weapon to defend himself. 

Twigs snap beneath his feet, and fallen leaves cry with a crunch, his peculiar wine toned eyes scanning the autumn floor in search of his only prized possession he had stupidly lost on his last outing as a vampire hunter; a locket storing his sisters picture.

May it be the only thing he has left in memory of her, it would make this whole situation worse. The night tints the world in black, and the moon makes the shade all the thicker-- Finding that itty-bitty necklace among the blanket of midnight and autumn leaves would be like finding a needle in a haystack. 

He swears that each little glimmer out of the corner of his eye is his missing treasure, every tiny shine offered by the minimal light his necklace, but of course, it never is. Everything in him is telling him to give up, that if he were to go any further into these woods, he'll wind up lost.

But like any other would, Risotto promises himself, 'I'll look for a few more minutes, just a few.', and instead ended up searching for another hour; unbeknownst to him, in an entirely different area than where he might've actually lost it.

The twisted grey trees, with their curled branches bent like fingers, all ended up looking the same, and the pattern of deer tracks went in loops, as if meaning to disorient his sense of direction. The chill air bites at his flesh as the wind whips by, leaving the poor fool to shudder as he walks toward his little house in defeat.

Yet he finds that the forest stretches on; and soon, when he finally picks up the change in environment, and notices the steep hill which had never been there before (of which he nearly tripped down), it finally clicks that he was only getting farther and farther from his home. 

Ah, but this is of to be expected, isn't it? That's what he gets for not listening to himself, and admitting he should just accept the loss. 

Life had never been fair to poor Risotto, and unfortunately, it wasn't about to get any better. No tools on hand, no thick clothing, too many hours till sunrise, no weapons... Hell, he really wouldn't be all that surprised if he were to die out here. 

To be honest, he began to suspect that such an idea might prove to be reality, the moment he heard a rustling in the bush behind him. 

A rabbit, he foolishly wanted to convince himself. Just some rabbit skittering around in the underbrush, that's what that sound was. And he was right, for not a moment later, a hare came bounding out of the green, and scampered off... But what came after it was no little bunny.

A human- No, a snake? A mix of the sorts; terrifying in every nature, hissing and howling at the missed prey it was assumedly trying to catch. Lavender hair sprouted from its craning head, the arms that appeared to aid its movement muscled, but flexing impatiently as it slithered forward. It catches sight of Risotto, defenseless and without means to fight back, and pauses for a moment. 

It doesn't look like this creature can see very well, he notices, as its eyes narrow and widen, its head nodding from side to side. 

"Melone!" A voice shouts from within the deep woods. "Have you caught it?"

"No, but I think I've found something else!" The monster, apparently also known as 'Melone' yells back, not in any particular direction, as it moves around Risotto languidly. "I can't tell if this thing is a tree, or a human!"

"Well, it's probably a damn tree! Last time you said this, I came over and wasted my time to find out you were just gazing at some oak!"

"But this one really smells like one! I'm telling you, come over here and tell me whether this is another tree or not, I promise this is the last time!"