6) Be Feared To Be Respected

That good man...the one with the white robe, now blind for his best friend's sake, Xiao Xingchen, notices that people seemed to have started knowing his worth. Yes, he did receive countless thanks from the poor mortals he saved, but he never felt respected. He never asked anything from them nor waited for something more, because he understood their situation. He didn't want to give them more burden. It seemed like his love for saving people - and making them feel more safe - was what was keeping him from realising how worthy he is. He was trying his best to make every hurt person smile again so he never cared about getting weaker or being treated like an invulnerable weapon. All these thoughts faded away and a nearly forgotten feeling took their place that day...

A-Qing looked around to see people avoiding paying attention to them. Nobody seemed to be disgusted by them coming to the city's market . She was confused. Thereafter, she noticed that some merchants and passers-by were staring at the evil man who was walking next to her and her friend. Xue Yang had started getting better at walking and was able to catch up with the other two. To those, this suspicious man looked like an eye magnet, freezing their blood in an instant. She knew that they didn't feel mesmerized by seeing a young cultivator but threatened. She wouldn't have realised that if she wasn't present that night when Xiao Xingchen took that delinquent with him for hunting. And most likely people were suspicious of him since he was a new resident, and some of their neighbors were killed for an unknown reason. The residents could link their deaths to a fierce corpse attack, but having Xiao Xingchen with them wasn't a big deal anymore.

Yes, A-Qing didn't tell Xiao Xingchen what he did that night with his so-called friend and she was feeling guilty. She didn't want the bad guy to harm her or her dear friend. She just started living in a place where she could eat and sleep without worrying. She had someone to care about her like a family would do, even though someone had to ruin it...

She didn't forget her talk with Xue Yang either. She could end it all if she didn't care about her life, but now that Xiao Xingchen looked more happy, even because of that pretender, it's harder for her...

"You two keep going. I have to buy something else first..."

"What is it, Taoist Xiao?"

"I don't want to go shopping with him! I like to be with you only. Don't leave me with him!", A-Qing complained and gave a death glare at Xue Yang.

"A-Qing, it's almost time for lunch, so we should hurry to buy what we need for the cooking."

Xiao Xingchen grabs their shoulders and smiles at A-Qing to cheer her up. He knew A-Qing found his friend annoying but she never gave a clear explanation. After all, they were all strangers.

"Don't worry. We'll buy food supplies and you can go. I'll keep an eye on her.", Xue Yang smirked and patted A-Qing's head, messing her hair. She immediately moved his hand away and stuck her tongue out at him.

Xiao Xingchen started walking the opposite way to find a different shop, the most expensive in that market place, after the one with clothes. He couldn't find a cheaper one, since what he wanted was kind of rare in this town. He would spend from the money he was saving all these years. That money he kept so he could travel with his old friend, Song Lan. The two Taoists never wanted to stay at one place forever. They always wanted to explore all the mountains, the cursed cities, and help the ones that needed them... Now, nothing is the same as back then, so he didn't care much about the future use of his savings. He decided to spend them on something that could heal a hurt soul, even a little bit, not his though. He was fine without it.

"Hello, can I get a pack-of-10 of these?"

"Never seen you buying from here before...I hope you like them and visit us again next time!"