01.Unanswered Questions

My eyes burned as I tried to open them. I ran my fingers on the cool mattress I was sleeping on. I opened my eyes and saw the most beautiful ceiling ever. It was possibly marble with engravings and patterns of designs. I tried to sit up but collapsed immediately. My body was too stiff. Pain surged through each and every part of my body. My head was spinning like a helicopter blade.

"Don't move," came a female voice from somewhere. I decided against it. I managed to sit myself up and look for the source of the voice. I saw a girl with strawberry blonde hair of about 20 odd years. She smiled. "You were out for quite a while. We were worried."

"How long?" I rasped. Gosh my voice! My throat felt like sand.

"Six days," she replied.

"Where am I?" I exclaimed suddenly.

"Now, now sweetheart. There will be enough time to talk. You need rest."

She smoothened my covers and mattress and gave me the sweetest smile. Maybe it was my aching head but I could literally see a halo around her hair.

"I need to know!" I croaked. "Please."

"It is okay, honey. Everything will be fine," she whispered.

"So you won't tell me anything, Miss Whatsyourname?" I asked, irritated.

"I am Daphne. And no. Sadly, I cannot. I am sorry."

"Fine," I grumbled.

She must have taken pity on me. But did she say anything? No way! She simply left me alone and went off, smiling! Well, at least this room is cosy. I wrapped the thick blanket around me and waited. I looked around and figured that maybe this was a kind of hospital room; though I seem like the only patient here. Patient was just a technicality.
The door opened and I jumped. Daphne returned with a bunch of total strangers. A woman with long brown hair and twinkling green eyes was leading a blonde teenage girl of about my age and a totally hot guy in mid forties. The green-eyed woman smiled and took a seat at the foot of my bed. Daphne offered a bowl of clear liquid. Must be water.

"Sip it slowly," the green-eyed woman instructed. I sipped it. It was the sweetest thing I'd ever tasted. I gulped it down in one sip and choked. The woman gave me a I warned you look. I shrugged.

She spoke, "Hello. I am Freya. How are you Florentyna? Is there anything you need?"

I replied, "I am fine, thank you. Yes, I need answers and most importantly, I want to know how you know my name!"

"Florentyna, you shall be answered soon. First tell me, do you recognize her?" She gestured towards the blonde.

I looked at her. I knew the face. It was familiar. Where had I seen her? Where? I looked hard and thought harder.

"No," I finally said.

The blonde opened her mouth as if to protest.

"No?" Freya seemed a bit taken aback.

"Not really. She seems familiar."

"Well, of course I seem familiar!" The blonde sounded quite annoyed.

"Okay, snuck it guys. Where am I? Who are you guys? And what am I doing here?" I said.

"Miss Evans, you should be resting now. It is wisest thing to do," the hot dude said.

"No! The wisest thing is to tell me what is going on! Now!" I snap back.

Freya smiled. "No, my dear. Sleep." She put her hand on my forehead.
My eyelids felt heavy and before I knew it, I was fast asleep.

That night, I had the weirdest dream. I was back in Marthanville, my hometown. I was walking along the hillside with my cat Onyx. Suddenly, I heard a blast somewhere among the thick foliage. I ran towards the sound. I reached a small clearing in the woods. I climbed a tree and looked on. I saw the blond. Her hair was a sight, her eyes blazing with anger. She had a long stick in her hand, which was.....beautiful. It was a sceptre, of course! A golden one and at the upper end it had a glowing ball which looked like a miniature sun.

She raised her sceptre and screamed, "For Valenthia!" and charged.

Yep, she is insane, I thought. But a giant drew my attention and I freaked out. Who wouldn't? It was huge! Why didn't I notice it before? Maybe it was invisible until then. A volley of glowing balls erupted from her sceptre and hit the giant demon. Did the giant who smelled like sewer die? Nada. Instead the giant took the blondie down with one swipe. Possibly she was weak with fight. My palms were sweaty and the ground seemed to vibrate when the Big Smelly Guy thumped. I lost my footing and fell right near the blondie.

"Help,"she croaked.

"Help?! Are you on crack? What am I supposed to do? Kung-fu?"

She didn't bother with a reply. She didn't have to anyway. By that time the giant noticed me and came after me. I was numb, paralyzed, filled with dread. The giant demon flipped me like a rag doll and raised its double sided axe which I hadn't noticed before. The axe glinted in the evening sun.

"SNACK TIME!" it bellowed and sent the axe crashing down. I closed my eyes shut. A pressure built inside me. Something was tugging at my gut. I let out my hands on my side and screamed. Fire. I could feel fire everywhere.

I sat up on my bed, clammy with sweat. It was morning and sunlight shone through the window. Daphne turned to look at me and said, "You're ready."