19.

LIFE AT HOGWARTS WAS BLISSFUL FOR TWO WEEKS IN THE WAKE OF CARINA AND CHARLIE'S RELATIONSHIP STATUS

LIFE AT HOGWARTS WAS BLISSFUL FOR TWO WEEKS IN THE WAKE OF CARINA AND CHARLIE'S RELATIONSHIP STATUS. Carina was settled back into her position at Charlie's side comfortably when Nymphadora burst her bubble.

"You cannot keep pushing this off," Dora warned. She stood with her arms crossed at Carina's bedside, staring at the side of her face. "I'm talking to you, Carina Tonks."

A pillow smashing into the side of her head sent Carina pitching forward on the bed. Pushing herself off of her textbook, she whipped her head toward her black-haired sister. She looked startlingly similar to their mother in the color.

"I'm not pushing it off. I'm pushing you off."

"Don't be smart. This is important, Carina."

She stood from her bed and began to pace the room. Of course, it's important. I know that. I just need more time.

It's important. That's true. But is it really worth everything I'd have to give up? Carina paced in silence for several long minutes before turning abruptly to her twin sister. Dora, who had been watching her sister like a hawk for the last hour, tensed at the movement.

"No," Nymphadora hissed at the sight of a sad smile forming on Carina's lips.

"I'm not going, Dora," Carina whispered. There was a touch of sadness in her voice, but it mostly held caution.

Carina had spent so many nights awake in her bed fighting with herself over what she should do. As much as she wanted to take the job and move to Romania, she knew some things were more important than a job. Her friends and her family... Charlie. She had been leaning toward declining the position for weeks, but this was the first time she'd ever said it out loud.

"You have to go."

Despite the reassuring smile on her face, tears welled up in Carina's eyes. Laughing breathily, she said, "It's okay. I can find a different job."

Nymphadora's face hardened at the tears rolling down her sister's cheeks.

"Talk to Charlie," she insisted. "Don't make any decisions without talking to him first. He deserves to know."

Carina shakes her head, turning away from her sister. Wiping at her cheeks quickly, she takes a few steadying breaths.

"Rina, you've gotta tell him. He'll be so proud of you. He's your best friend."

An angry laugh ripped out of Carina's chest as she turned back to Dora. "I want to tell him, Nymphadora. You think I don't know how proud he'll be?"

"Then what's the problem?" Dora shouts in frustration, stepping forward.

Carina takes a step to meet her as she yells, "It would break his heart!"

The girls stand face to face, breathing heavily out of anger. They had a mild childhood, and it isn't often that they came to a battle of wills; however, everyone knew to steer clear when they did.

Their roommates paused in the doorway before retreating back down to the common room. No doubt alarmed by the sound of raised voices.

Carina and Nymphadora didn't move. They simply shared eye contact stubbornly, refusing to admit defeat.

"You don't know that," Dora muttered lowly.

"Yes, I do," Carina said sharply.

Dora looks her up and down before nodding and swiftly exiting the room.

-

The girls didn't speak for two weeks following the argument in the dormitory.

Their fight ended on March 31st purely for the sake of tradition. Every year since they'd started at Hogwarts, Carina and Nymphadora subjected the inhabitants of the large castle to an elaborate prank on April Fool's. Since the arrival of Fred and George Weasley, they've only escalated.

"Carina, have you got the doorway charmed?" Fred whispers in the quiet of the corridor. "We've gotta move."

"I'm going as quickly as I can!"

She made quick work of the doorway to the Great Hall and hurried to catch up with Fred. They tiptoed through the shadows of the castle, keeping a keen eye for prefects or professors.

Carina squeaks when she feels someone grab the back of her robes.

"Seriously?" Charlie hisses at the two of them. "I'm a Prefect."

Fred and Carina make eye contact, having a silent conversation. When Charlie starts to pull them down the corridor, Carina turns to him and smiles sweetly.

"Charlie, fancy a snog in a broom closet?"

The large redhead falters as his face turns pink and he starts to sputter. His hold of Fred loosens, allowing the boy the slip away with a cheeky wink. Charlie finally shakes himself out of his shock and groans loudly.

"He's run off, hasn't he?" Charlie sighs.

"Naturally," Carina grins. "It's our last birthday at Hogwarts together. Cut us some slack, eh?"

He sighs again, putting his arm around her and walking her back to the Hufflepuff common room.

-

Come morning, all of Hogwarts is riddled with anxiety as they pick at their food. Four students are late to breakfast. Normally, no one would bat an eye at this fact. Students skip breakfast all the time.

But on April 1st, there are four students you are guaranteed to see, and they are missing from the Great Hall.

Carina and Nymphadora Tonks were born in the early morning on April 1st in 1972.

Fred and George Weasley came just six years later on that very same day.

Their birthday is the one day that the Tonks twins disregard all rhyme or reason and engage in all-out mischief. That day is today.

"Where are they?" Percy huffs, looking over his shoulder for the third time since he sat down.

"Where's who?" Carina chirped, plopping down next to Charlie.

As she begins to load up her plate, people cast weary looks her way. Fred and George sit opposite of her, and they express the same obliviousness as Carina. When Nymphadora finally joins them and begins to wordlessly eat breakfast, Charlie cracks.

"Alright, what's going on?"

All four of them turn to him at once, blinking owlishly. His skin crawls with dread.

"What have you done?" He whispers urgently, eyes darting around the Great Hall.

They remain silent, save for the innocent grins that they all wear.

Charlie goes back to his breakfast, putting his arm around Carina's shoulders. Placing a quick kiss to the side of her head, he murmurs, "Happy birthday, doll."

"Thanks. Will we be seeing you at our party in the Room of Requirement tonight?" Carina hums, taking a sip of tea.

"Don't you always?" He chuckles.

It's not until after breakfast that the chaos starts. Each student that passes through the doorway to the Great Hall is showered in confetti. At the same moment, small cakes begin raining from above.

Carina giggles loudly when a large bit of strawberry frosting ends up smeared on Charlie's face. He shakes his head and pulls her closer, trying to wipe the frosting onto her while she shrieks happily.

Their last birthday together at Hogwarts couldn't have been happier.