Chapter 25

It's the start of a new day and Ame is jumping on my bed. "I have school today, let me sleep," I say still half asleep.

"But I want you to come to the nature center with me and Hana!" Ame yells still jumping on me.

I kick his leg mid-air and he falls on top of me. "Fine. Only today though.

He gets off and I start my day. I grab the pink shirt that Ame has learned to tolerate. Dressed, I go to the table and see Ame jumping with glee while talking to Hana. I grab an apple and got sit on the deck with Yuki. "I'm gonna spend the day with Ame."

"But the teacher is announcing the science fair theme today! You have to be my partner," Yuki says holding me by the shoulder.

"I've spent a ton of time with you and school only fair that I spend some time with Ame."

She took her hands off and went back to waiting for the bus. I walk over to Ame who's sitting at the table. Hana comes over and says she's leaving in 30 minutes. I grab my shoes and head for the car. When Yuki isn't riding, I let Ame take the front seat because it's nice being separated once in a while.

We get to the nature center and the owner comes and greets us. "Hello Ame, Have the day off?" He asks.

Ame shakes his head and the owner asks, "Skipping?"

Ame nods and the one shifts his attention to me. "You must be Kota. Hear you've got one brilliant mind!"

I nod and we continue inside. Ame grabs my hand and starts dragging me to what looks like a prison cell. I look closer and there's a wolf. Ame crouched down and let his ears out. The wolf approached him then looked at me. I could read that he wanted to know who I was and why I was with the boy. I let my ears out and changed my hair colour to match Ame's. He went back to Ame for a moment before my hand was grabbed and we went out to the forest.

Hana had a shorter shift so we arrived home early. I helped Hana pack some things inside but Ame just walked down the driveway. I brought the last few things inside and headed up towards the mountain where Ame had gone. It was a long hike but the end came to me sooner than later though it was just a large tree. I shifted and started leaping from root to root and running down what looked like a path until I saw a fox. I ducked down and watched as they stopped and looked in my general direction. He then sat and a turquoise wolf came up beside him. The fox then went and attacked Ame. I jumped out from where I was hiding and shoved the fox off Ame. "I had that going fine!" Ame exclaimed getting back on his feet.

"It looked like this fox was about to kill you," I say shifting human.

"I was following him around hoping to learn a thing or two about the mountain and being a wolf. Now he might just kill me than help me."

The fox came up behind me and growled, about to attack but I swung around and glared. The fox whimpered and backed up. "Have you ever thought about me teaching you?"

"You're busy with school half the time and I'm thinking about dropping it so I can be a wolf," Ame said before jumping at me.

I moved out of the way and he landed on the fox. I then started walking back to the house, leaving them to do whatever they want. Hana was at the table and asked, "Where were you?"

"I went for a hike. Ame went and did something on his own and I was bored."

"The three of you are all growing up in vastly different ways."