The birds were chirping now. An indication for the start of a new day. Fresh warm air, and the smell of the ocean nearby. It could almost be the start of a perfect day.

Almost.

Wearing his usual hoodie that was covered in burn holes and cigarette ash, Joey sat on his porch with his rolling tray perched in his lap. Knowing him, those joints were being rolled for us. His special little gift for me before the real fun.

"It's about time," he smiled, pulling the strings on his hoodie so it tightened in a circle around his face. "I'm starving, Candy."

Crashing up against the porch steps, I collapsed down, and let my things fall loose around me. "I did my best getting over here, okay?"

"Let's get breakfast. Some bacon and eggs or something. You hungry?"

"I've had enough meat for the night," I joked, tearing my feet from the skates.

"Were you working?"

"Well, kinda. Mostly just fishing."

"You out already?" He patted the cheap plastic white chair beside him, welcoming me to sit.

"Duh. Feel like I'm always out."

God, it hurt to sit, as much as it was relieving to rest my legs, I was perma-exhausted. Drained completely.

"Wanna smoke this and get food? Just chill out today?" His smile widened as I stretched myself out beside him.

"Absolutely. It's been a while since we've gone out." He passed me the now smoking joint, letting me take the first proper hit. "What's new in your world today?"

"I'm in limbo-land, I suppose. Not really here, or anywhere, just empty for right now. Got off work a couple hours ago. Shit night. You know the stuff."

"Are you still at that grocery store on 22nd?"

"Mhmm," coughing on his hit, he nodded quickly, smacking his chest. "Stocking bullshit."

"Sounds terrible." I laughed at him, giving him a pat on the back. "You gonna be alright?"

"This stuff is chronic. Am I right? Fucking whack."

"Anything's good if it works,"

"Speaking of," starting slow, he eased back in his chair and turned his head to me. That look in his eyes that said, we should talk.

"If this is about me wanting another front, I can explain-"

"Dude," Joey laughed, raising his hand to stop my rambling before it got out of hand. "I'll front you again. Relax, okay? I know how it is."

"You sure you don't mind?"

"Not at all. Shit, you could hang out here for a while if you want. I'm off for the next few days so I can binge a little."

"What do you have?" I asked, noticing my voice took on a hushed tone. It's a rush, like opening presents on Christmas morning.

"Probably gonna gak out. I don't know, I have options. Depends on what you want."

"You're gonna do meth?"

"Yeah, forgot to tell you that started up again." He shrugged his shoulders and yawned, trying to hide his shakes.

"Can I?"

"Sure, If you want. I'll probably just spend the day walking around, gaming here and there."

"I could roll with that. We should do some molly tonight! That'd be fun, don't'cha think?"

"Miss Candy wants some cannndy?" He teased, standing from his chair to grab his pack of cheap smokes from his back pocket.