Chapter 16 | Romeo's Understudy

Start from the beginning

Turquoise eyes darkening to a teal, Liz marches up to Steve, unaware that he stepped back a little as she stops a few inches from his face, her pointer finger on his chest. "Call me, babe, again, and I'll continue where Jim left off. Also, if you harm Jim in any way, I'll make sure there won't be much of you left to intimidate with. You get me, Steven?"

With a gulp, Steve raised his hands in surrender and nodded. "Y-Yes, m-ma'am."

As stormy ocean eyes recede to calm turquoise seas, Liz settles back on her heels and grin. "Good. Looking forward to working with you, Blondie."

Sounds of clapping drew their attention away as Ms. Janeth called out to them.

"Alright, let's begin, shall we?"

Jim Lake Jr. POV

He's late. He's late! HE'S LATE!

Jim repeated in his head as he rode his bike swiftly to school. How could he forget! Again! Liz will be so disappointed in him, and he could only imagine what Ms. Janeth might do to him.

He shivers at the thought, praying that he doesn't find out. He checked his phone for the time on his way out of Toby's house and saw Liz's text from early this morning. He should have recognized it immediately but was too caught up with being miniature and improvising for his Spanish comprehensive exam. Could this day get any worse?

After parking his bike in record time, he raced for the gymnasium. Gasping for breath, he paused in front of the gymnasium doors to collect his bearings. Shaking his limbs and taking a deep breath, he opens the door, entering. Inside, hears Liz speak her lines. "Oh, Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou, Romeo?"

Speaking out loud, Jim starts. "Shall I hear..."

However, his steps paused when another voice spoke aloud. "Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?"

Surprised, Jim watched as Steve Palchuk, the school bully and nemesis, walked towards Liz, saying his lines and holding hands with Liz. Jim groans. You have got to be kidding me. Steve Palchuk? What is he doing here?

Noticing Jim's presence, Steve clears his throat, pointing at him as Ms. Janeth turns around, catching sight of the boy. "Oh, Mr. Lake!"

Taking off her glasses and standing up from her seat, Ms. Janeth explains. "Your repeated tardiness has forced me to take precautions. Mr. Palchuk will now serve as your understudy."

Jim's jaw dropped at that. In mockery, Steve imitates an explosion, knowing that he blew Jim's mind. Steve chuckles deviously as Liz frowns and shrugs at Jim, mouthing, "Sorry."

A hand on his hip, Jim places a hand on his head and groans to himself.

This cannot be happening. 

[End of Episode IV - Gnome Your Enemy]

Whew! We finally made it to the end of Episode 4! 

Fanfic Question: If Steve Palchuk was standing in front of you, what would you say or do?

Again, please don't forget to vote or comment, if you liked this chapter. I would love to hear what you all think. Happy reading!

- Miss_Nightingale