i

I am Riley. A 14 year old orphan in London. Kingston to be exact. Lately life has been a mess. I was moved to three god damn orphanages in one month. I didn't have any friends due to constant moving. I was constantly bullied in school and abused by the woman who managed the orphanage.

All of this started when one day my mother found out she was pregnant with me and my twin brother. Everything was fine until 9 months later, my father had met with a car accident and passed away on the spot. Devastated, my mother broke down and had an anxiety attack. When she was fine, she had to be rushed into labour. The second tragedy broke out when my mother had given birth to my twin who had died because of less blood circulation in his body. And then I was finally born.

Two years later, my mother had moved in with a creepy guy who she thought was wonderful. One night when I had a nightmare and ran to her for comfort, I found her dead and a knife by the side. Mr. Creep was nowhere to be found and that's when I found out that he had killed her for her money. Since there were no other family members to take care of me, the social workers moved me to an orphanage.

London always had unpredictable climate and today it was raining. The roads were very slippery. Today was the worst day of my entire life. I woke up at 3 am, burnt the breakfast, failed my test, got body-shamed. Honestly what could go wrong now? I stood in one of the crossroads, waiting to be hit by a car or a truck or anything.

Few hours later, I woke up in a hospital. When I looked at the board near me, I knew I was in the wrong ward because, mine wasn't an accident, but a self harm. Groaning, I turned to the right and was met with a man in his twenties. He look familiar somehow. He almost lay lifeless in his bed. I felt sorry for him and his family. Next to him was a woman who I think is his girlfriend. She looked at me and smiled and I smiled back. Not gonna lie, she looked beautiful.

She moved her stool in between her boyfriend's bed and mine. "Hi I am Grace" she said and smiled at me. God she had the most gorgeous smile ever! "I am Riley" I said and smiled back at her. "So how did you end up here?" she asked me. Should I tell her the truth? I mean she is the only a stranger and after I get discharged, I may not even see her again. Moreover, I need to get everything outside my mind. "Um self harm. I was waiting for a car or truck to run into me."

We then spent the next few hours talking. She talked about her family, her college and her job. I spoke about my life so far. She was a great company. We were laughing about some random things when the guy on the bed, who apparently IS her boyfriend woke up. "OMG Harrison! How are you baby?" she asked her boyfriend. They were gushing at each other and I let them have their moment. It wasn't long until Ms. Redbottom, who managed the orphanage, barged inside the ward "RILEY YOU PATHETIC BITCH! GET UP WE NEED TO GET OUT!" she screamed at me. From the corner of my eye, I noticed Harrison flinch at the loud noise. I quickly got up from the bed. As soon as my legs touched the ground, Redbottom grabbed me by the wrist and dragged me out. Before I reached the door, I waved the couple a small goodbye.

When we reached the orphanage, Redbottom kept yelling at me for no reason which I didn't take notice of. After she finisher her 'speech', she told me to go to my room which I did happily. I plopped onto the bed and screamed in my pillow. And I waited until sleep took over