Chapter 17: Long Distance

They stood like a sore thumb. His father just had to send a limousine, really? The only thing keeping Shin comfortable was the tinted window. They were getting so many stares from the townspeople and Shin actually slides down a bit on his seat. He really didn't want to look out anymore. The scenery was beautiful, but there was always someone.

It only took ten minutes for them to arrive at a very large traditional Japanese home. Shin's grandmother was waiting right by the large wooden gate in a pink kimono.

"Shin dear, welcome."

"Mhm, thank you for having me Grandmother."

"Come inside, you must be tired from your travels. Let's have some tea, shall we?"

"Yes, that would be nice..." Shin follows his grandmother inside the house. They sat together on a pillow seat. The housekeepers assist and prepare the snacks and tea for them to enjoy. Shin excuses himself for a moment and takes out his phone.

[I just arrived. Don't call me yet, i have to talk with my grandmother.]

Sent.

[Yay! Have fun! Just text me when you're free then
♡ ~('▽^人)]

From Suzuki☼

...That was a fast reply. He was probably waiting for my text. Honestly, what am I gonna do with him.

"You're in a very good mood Shin." His grandmother smiles. Shin looks up from his phone to find his grandmother's pleasant face. She looked really happy. Shin glances at his phone and nods. "Yeah..."

"You look very fond. Like eyes of someone who's in love."

"G-Grandmother?" Shin wasn't even eating or drinking yet and he already felt like he was choking. His grandmother did not miss the fond smile on Shin's lips after all. His grandmother decided to cease her teasing.

"I'm just teasing, dear." But whoever you're texting, you seem to like them, ah?

Shin has never read about Original Shin's grandmother before. Yes, she was mentioned twice in the story, but there never an actual appearance of her. All he knows is that his grandmother is from his mother's side. So far, Shin believes that she's a nice woman. She didn't seem pushy like his mother and father.

"So how is school?"

"Good..."

"Oh let me give this to you." His grandmother reaches for something in her sleeve and there was pamphlet for the town. "Our town is known for its beautiful scenery and many stores. Please, take this as your guide and feel free to explore."

"Thank you."

Shin takes the pamphlet and there was already so many places to visit.

"...Grandmother, is there a sweets shop?"

"We have plenty of those, dear. I can ask someone to escort you there."

"No need, thank you for the offer though, but I'll just need directions."

"Okay, that is not a problem."

I know he said that he can't think of anything for a souvenir, but I can't return empty-handed. Hmm, let's see...Sweets and what else? I don't want to get him something useless...Oh, he needs a hair clip. I'll get a lot then...Also...

Shin's grandmother was surprised at Shin's pure concentration on the pamphlet.

I had no idea Shin is a sweet tooth...or is it for someone?