16. Live Like It's Your Last Day (Sexual content)

Start from the beginning

"I just wanted you to know that your husband saved me," she said emotionally. "I pray for him, that he comes through this totally and completely free of the dark one. He is a good man, a strong man."

I thanked her, glad that she was healing. On the fourth day of his stay in Wakanda Shuri video called to say they were going to do the procedure the following day. It could take days and they had two different teams that would alternate if it came to that. Steve already knew something was up and he would try to comfort me. I poured my energies into being as upbeat as possible during the day but at night I cried myself to sleep. On the morning of the seventh day James video called.

"Hello beautiful," he said softly. "They got him, he's gone for good. I'll never be reactivated again."

I burst into tears, unable to speak. "Oh baby, please don't cry. Not when I can't put my arms around you and hold you. They're doing a full physical on me today, then I'll be home tonight. I'm coming home baby. I promise."

"James," I whispered, still crying, "I love you."

"I know, I love you, too," he whispered back, holding back his tears. "Keep it warm for me. Kiss the boys and tell them they'll see me tomorrow but tonight you're all mine. I have to go now."

That evening I gave the boys their bath, read them each their favourite story then put them to bed. Like I had done every night I gave them a kiss from me and a kiss from their dad. When I kissed Steve he looked me.

"You're happy," he said. "Is Dad okay? Is he coming home?"

"Yes, sweetie, he'll be home by morning," I smiled. "Your dad's coming home and he's all better now."

Steve smiled and snuggled down with his stuffie. Then I had turned out the lights and went downstairs to let the dogs out before bed. Surprisingly they were already out so I went out on the terrace to call them in when I saw and heard them. They were barking and laughing in the way dogs do when they're playing and having fun. Out in the moonlight I could see someone playing with them and realized it was James. I ran down the steps from the terrace and called to him. In the moonlight I ran across the grassy field, my robe trailing out behind me, my house slippers falling off and my feet becoming wet in the damp grass after the light rain we had. But I didn't care, I just wanted him. He ran to me and picked me up in his arms raising me to the sky before bringing my face to his. Even though we were both crying we smothered each other in kisses. There were no words, just kissing. Then he carried me back to the house, calling the dogs in as he strode across the grass with me in his arms. He didn't put me down until we were at the top of the terrace. With his arm around my shoulder he looked out over the property then down at me.

  With his arm around my shoulder he looked out over the property then down at me

Everything looks better," he said. "Like I'm seeing it with a new perspective."

We locked up and walked up the stairs to our bedroom and closed the door.