Phase 3: Glitching Foundations

Start from the beginning

Instantly the girl lit up, popping up behind Damian, arms thrown around him.

"Yes, yes, oh please yes! It will be amazing! I'll start planning it now!" She smiled, blue green eyes sparkling under the chandelier light.

"Have you no sense of time?" Damian hissed, irritated as he tried to pry her off. "Why would you want to plan it now when it's seven years away?"

Aria just cling to him tighter, and Damian growled as he gave up, not willing to fight with Grayson armed with his slipper across the house.

"You said 'our' birthday! That means it'll be the first birthday you want to spend with me! I want to make sure it's perfect! We're gonna be big by then, we'll be grown ups, and together we'll walk the whole world!"

Aria squealed in excitement and hugged him tighter, nuzzling into his shoulder. The slipper had fallen to the ground, a muted thud against the tile.

Damian blinked, the corner of his lip tilting up just slightly.

He hummed a reply, for the first time not so irritated as he usually was.

"Fine, then. Together."

And from the kitchen, Dick Grayson beamed, happier than ever to see them getting along, his sunshine smile unbeknownst to either of the twins. 

**************************************************************

Black suit. Black shirt. Deep green tie.

That was all Damian wore whenever he entered the garden. 

Because now it wasn't a garden. All of it, every forgotten tangle of broken fairy lights, every little rose and flower, all of them were wilted with neglect.

Wilted, mourning for the soul of the buried boy in the farthest corner.

Glass crunched under his shoes.  A northern wind bit icily at his red cheeks, combed mercilessly through his hair. Stung through his skin.

But Damian didn't notice any of that, emerald eyes fixated on the farthest corner.

Damian was numb as he stared down at the tombstone.  It was in the distance, placed under Dick's favorite willow tree, speckles of color adorning it with flowers that bloomed in the face of regret, grief, and saudade.

That eighteenth birthday he'd promised to her... went oh so horribly wrong.

Aria's laughter echoed through his ears, insanity laced through every pitch of her voice.

Together, he'd promised her. 

Damian felt a sob rip up his throat.

"What good are you thinking to achieve, digging up dead girls?"

Damian moved one step closer towards his big brother's grave.

"Why? Why all this blood?" Damian had screamed at the serial killer during her city hall massacre, ready to mercilessly beat her into the ground.

"Why the hell not?" 

Damian stepped closer, tears brimming in his eyes, starting up a slow walk.

"You lay a finger on Aria, and I'll end you! You hurt her, and I'll kill you!" Robin screamed.

"You want Aria?"