Prologue

"There's two of them, dear Father." Talia whispered, rubbing her swollen belly. "Two heirs to the throne upon which they shall rule."

Ra blankly looked out the window, not batting an eye towards his daughter.

After a long bout of silence, he turned to her, something dark behind his eyes. "There shall be one."

"One? One heir? But the twins have already developed-"

"Drain one's strength into the other, my child. May one be all powerful while the other be gone."

Talia looked up at her Father, realizing exactly what he wanted. His wrinkled hand slowly gave her a bottle of swirling green liquid, and she took a deep breath, her fingers clasping around it.

May one be all powerful while the other be gone.

"Yes, Father." Talia curtsied, keeping her gaze down as the man exited the room, the darkness seemingly following suit.

She bit her lip, turning to the window, and touched her belly once again, raising an eyebrow as she felt a soft throb of a baby's heartbeat through her top.

She knew that having two heirs would come at a cost, but she didn't think it'd be this. In the back of her mind, the motherly beast awoke in anger, but before it could speak, Talia shut it down again for good.

This was for the League. For the throne.

She opened the bottle and stared down at the green liquid, before looking down at her belly.

The edges of her lips twitched downwards as the smell wafted under her nose. 

"Don't take it personally, little one. You weren't meant to be here anyway."

And with that, Talia drank at the green liquid, ignoring the glow that started to emit from her pregnant stomach. She ignored the strange feeling as one twin started feeding off the other's energy, as one was set up to die.

Her lips now twitched upwards, as the thought of her sole child ruling the throne flitted through her mind.

One of her kids would be the best assassin there ever was.

And if the other managed to survive, then so be it. 

***********************************************************************************

Her name was Aria Al Ghul.

She managed to survive 7 months in the womb with a twin that fed off her strength and so was born weaker than the average child, while her brother was born much, much stronger.

A lot of things were different between her and Damian. She'd entered the world bawling, while her brother entered it quietly, looking around with deep, analytical eyes. She loved sugary sweets while her brother preferred healthier fruit, she had asthma and dyslexia while he was undefaced in any way.

She was slow. 

He was fast.

She was emotional.

He was not.

She was flawed.

He was perfect.

Even so, for some reason, Ra kept her around, maybe for a mission later on. She was destined to be collateral damage to her family's escapades, destined to be used and thrown away; an extra,  a spare, a useless doll ready to be tossed into the battles they stirred up. 

Talia didn't really care, always so busy training Damian and making sure Aria stayed her distance and kept quiet. Her mother did try to train her, but to no avail.