~ Chapter 74: Shattered ~

Start from the beginning

"Yeah--about that. Didn't we decide against it?" Knuckles asked.

"Um...no. I didn't agree with you, bro. I agree with Y/N because I'd rather not get in trouble."

"What your brother said. I said we need to see the king first. You said you didn't want to. We started to argue and then you said you found a shard and ran off!"

They jumped off the cliff as Y/N and Kneecaps jump down on the grassy platform while Knuckles easily glide down while flying.

"Okay then--I decided against it."

"Two votes against one?? Nope. That doesn't count."

"You're supposed to take my side!"

"Unlike you, I show respect and learn manners."

"We're on his land, Knuckles! It's only proper that we get his blessing before we go digging around on it!" Y/N exclaimed as they landed safely and went back to speed running or roller skating.

"Why? Would he tell us 'no'?"

"No, but--!"

"Then what's the point?!"

"It's polite!"

"We don't have time for being polite!"

"Um, yes there is, bro!!"

Y/N skid to a stop and grabbed Knuckles and made him turn to face her, glaring straight at him.

"Listen here, sir! If it were the other way around, and someone needed something off your island, would you be okay with them wandering around unannounced?"

"No...but...that's not...!"

Now this made Knuckles speechless as he had no words to say. Y/N and Kneecaps smirked smugly, knowing they got him. Before he knew it, they're heading into the entrance where the Mobian soldier is guarding as they walk past through.

"Fine. We're here anyway. We'll talk to the king."

"Thank you. This way!"

Soon, inside Castle Acorn, they stopped and their eyes widened at something they never expect to see.

"Oh, not these jerks again." Knuckles muttered out.

"Oh, boy..." Kneecaps sighed.

"Whoa! Rouge? Shadow? Omega? What're you guys doing here?" Y/N asked in surprise.

"Hiya, cutie! Long time no see!" Rouge winked, blowing her a kiss.

"I forgot you still do that..." Y/N deadpanned.

"Aw, but you love it."

"Shut up..."

Shadow gave her a small smile, nodding to her in greeting while Omega waved at her, but not to Knuckles or Kneecaps.

"Miss Y/N! What a pleasant surprise. I was just about finished with Team Dark." King Maximilliam said, standing up from his throne and approaching them.

"And you two must be Knuckles and Kneecaps? I don't believe I've had the pleasure. Smashing duel with Sonic and Y/N during the tournament!"

"Oh, uh, thanks. Do I bow or...?"

"A handshake will do."

Knuckles and Kneecaps shake hands with King Maximilliam.

"What brings you to Mobotropolis? I thought you were with the other Freedom Fighters?" he asked her.

Y/N bowed to him.

"I was, but I've joined Knuckles and Kneecaps on an urgent mission. We came to ask your permission to search your lands for the Master Emerald shards."