01|Freya Stayed on Earth....

Start from the beginning

In the black pack that Freya had gotten from Mary she found four things. A lipstick, nail polish, rouge and a small mirror. The three make up products the same shade of red. Victory red. Within seconds Freya's lips were coloured the bright red and her cheeks were grazed with rouge before she worked on her nails. A task that was significantly easier with telekinesis.

ஓ๑ ✪ ๑ஓ

Hours later and a journey across the Atlantic Ocean, Freya and Fabio arrived in France. There they were met by cold rain and hollering soldiers who refused to provide them information beyond catcalling or racist slurs. "I hate white men," Fabio murmured under his breath, Freya took a deep breath and rested a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Ever so often some aren't as bad."

Almost as if it had been a calling, a kind soldier approached them. "Good evening, I'm Daniel Sousa. Can I help you two?" His tone wasn't ignorant as others had been. He saw their uniforms and spoke to them like they belonged at the front, which in some sick manner, they did.

"Hello," Freya spoke up. "My name is Freya Odinsdottir," She gestured to Fabio beside her. "This is Corporate Fabio Cortez Lopez. We are to report to Captain Nick Johnson, would you know where we might find him?" Freya asked. She tucked a wet strand of hair behind her ear to keep it from sticking to her face.

Daniel Sousa smiled warmly at her. "Follow me," He nodded in the direction of a building. "I'll also get you some towels and tea." With that, he turned on his heel and walked ahead of the two women.

"Maybe you're right," Fabiola whispered into Freya's ear with a giggle.

ஓ๑ ✪ ๑ஓ

In the captain's office, Fabio and Freya had been offered seats as Nick Johnson checked their papers. He hummed ever so often while breathing out the smoke from his cigarette. "Alright," He sighed deeply. It was quite obvious he didn't want a woman travelling with his infantry. He was supposed to be leading reconnaissance scouts, it was a dangerous job and many of his men would never return home.

Now, Nick Johnson's reasons for not wanting female company weren't rooted solely in sexism. WAC had long struggled to get the right to pay their soldiers while they were overseas, and if they died, their parents could not collect any death gratuity. While President Franklin Roosevelt had recently made the WAC an official part of the army and granted them army rights, Nick knew there were cases about parents being badly informed about their daughter's death.

"We leave for Italy tomorrow so I suggest you both get some sleep. Miss Knight will show you to your room."

At the mention of her name, a woman entered the room. She had dark brown eyes and brown hair that was neatly rolled and pinned back. She wore no uniform nor rank.

ஓ๑ ✪ ๑ஓ

Maria Knight opened a door that opened a way to a cream room. There were two bunk beds shoved against two opposite walls, a desk between them. The rest of the walls were lined with a bookcase and various filing cabinets. Papers and notebooks were skewed around, various formulas and sketches on them.

"Did you design a plane?" Fabio questioned while holding up a paper. Maria turned to the boy and grew flushed and snatched the paper out of the boy's hands. "It's nothing important," She spoke, British accent clear as day, while gathering her things to make space for her two roommates.