"Alright so Nova texted me and said she saw...your mother." My grip on the phone tightened.

"Saw her where?" My voice was strained from trying to remain calm.

"If I tell you, you'll go after her and I'm not bailing you out again." Cam scolded. I kissed my teeth.

"I just wanted to give you a heads up. Nothing's good when she comes back." Sighing, I thanked her and hung up. My mother was the very definition of vile. For years, she abused me as a child because my father devoted his time to me. I never felt the supposed unconditional love of a mother. And now I was an adult, I believed I didn't need it anymore. The first time she came back was when my father died. She wanted her share of the will. Only to find out there wasn't any. By that time, I was working out and it would be difficult to bully me the way she did when I was younger. She knew it too– which is why she tried to get me arrested.

I eventually got a restraining order after Cam loaned her lawyer to fight the charges. My mother left, with nothing in her hands and I was glad. But now she's back and I have no idea what she's planning. My thoughts were interrupted by a text message from Lani.

Hey bestie :) - Sent 9:13 a.m. I bit my lip as a slow smile spread across my face. Last night, we stayed up late talking about everything. And we made up stupid nicknames to call each other. Though I admit it was probably the loopy mindset of 3 a.m.

Hey Lani tsunami. How'd you sleep?- Sent 9:14 a.m.

Horrible. I'm not talking to you all night of the hours again. I had to get up for classes at 7 :( - Sent 9:14 a.m. I snorted at this. It was my fault but I decided to tease her.

That's what happens when you force me to stay up all night smh. - Sent 9:15 a.m. Not even a second later and my phone was ringing. I answered laughing.

"Hey Lani tsunami." I said, still in fits of laughter.

"Don't Lani me! It was your idea. I only had 4 hours of sleep." She whined. I pouted.

"Aww, you poor baby. How about this, what's the rest of your schedule?" I asked.

"I have 2 more classes left. They're fours hours apart." I hummed in response.

"What if I take you to lunch and you can take a nap after? I'll even bring you to class." I offered.

"Okay, I'm choosing the place." She said after a moment of thinking.

"Then it's settled. Let me know when you're ready and I'll pick you up."

"Alright, I'll see you. Bye."

"Wait, bye what?" I asked, waiting to be properly addressed. She muttered an 'oh my God'.

"I hate you. Bye bestie." I snorted.

"Bye tsunami. And no you don't. You like me too much." I grinned.

"Whatever keeps your boat floating."

"I'm pretty sure you said that wrong but I'll let it slide. Bye."

"Bye." She hung up. The smile that was on my face didn't fade even when Cam and Alyssa came over.

"What are you smiling about?" Cam asked, narrowing her eyes at me. I fixed my face immediately.

"Uh- nothing." I said quickly.

"Nah it wasn't nothing. Who got you smiling that?" I rolled my eyes.

"No one. I was just texting a friend." Alyssa looked surprised at that.