Chapter Sixty-six

Start from the beginning

"What exactly is going on?" He looked at me, taking his jacket off and throwing it onto his bed. 

"Well, you're here to make sure I don't steal the jet and run away." I shrugged at him.  

"Why does she think you're running away this time?" He asked me, not looking over at me anymore, as he he emptied his pockets of his phone and wallet, putting them on the bedside table before he sat down on the bed. 

"Doesn't matter." I mumbled, really not having the energy to think about it anymore, let alone tell anyone else. 

I didn't want to, I didn't want anyone else to know, it was bad enough that Peter might tell Wanda, I wasn't dragging anyone else into it. 

While I watched Bucky turn on the TV and lean back against the headboard, I was starting to think it had been blown out of proportion, mainly by me. 

I'd had a terrible life before arriving at the compound, I already knew that, I couldn't expect Peter to be okay with it, so he brought it up arguing sometimes, did that really matter all that much? 

I sighed, yes, yes it did. 

I couldn't be with him if he wasn't okay with my life before I'd met him. I could stay though, I could avoid him easily enough, I was really good at avoiding people. 

"Hey kid, are you okay?" Bucky asked, I looked over at him and he seemed to have paid me attention for the first time since he walked into the cabin. 

"Yeah, I'm fine." I threw him a smile. Well I tried to anyway. 

"You don't have to tell me what's going on, but don't lie to me." He scolded. 

I just nodded at him, trying to look apologetic. "How was the food?" I asked him, more to distract myself than desire to hear about the food.

He frowned and shrugged, "It was fine, we all just had burger, they weren't anything special."
Bucky seemed to start analysing me, my question about the food sparked him to take notice. 

"Stop it." I shook my head at him. 

"Fine, lie to your best friend, see if he cares." He smirked at me and turned back to the TV, the only channel it seemed to get that was in a langue I could understand, he could probably speak Norwegian, he'd never told me exactly how many languages he could speak and what they all were. 

"So you do know we're best friends, I always knew you did." I said, but my heart really wasn't in it. 

When the door opened again it made me jump, I'd been staring aimlessly at a spot on the floor that I was trying to make look like something, anything, in my head. 

"Cam, come talk to me outside." Wanda nodded her head behind her, my eyes roamed around the scene behind her, making sure Peter wasn't there before I sighed and removed myself from the couch. 

"You're being weirder than usual tonight, I just thought you should know that." Bucky said as I followed Wanda out. I shot him the finger before I closed the door behind me. 

I could instantly see our breath fogging in front of us, Wanda carried on down the porch steps and turned off the right right, towards the front office. 

She lead me around the side of the building and sat down on a well used bench. It was probably where the limited amount of staff took their breaks. 

Instantly I pulled my legs to my chest and wrapped my arms around them, partly because it helped me feel protected, partly because it was well below freezing outside.