The Past Meets The Present

I checked Amy's parents house and no one was there. I decided to go by the Rainbow Cafe and do some decrypting on my laptop while I waited to hear from Amy's parents. I'd left a note on their door with my name and number. Time was moving conspicuously slow today. 

I found a booth and sat down; it was just now noon and not many people were here. It wasn't long before a waitress came over to ask me what I wanted. I had just opened my laptop and turned it on. "What would you like today?" she asked. I looked up at her and read her name tag: Cleo. 

Cleo? Why did that sound familiar? "Um, just a french vanilla cappuccino would be fine; with butterscotch drizzle." Cleo nodded and wrote down my order, half-smiling. She began to turn around, then came toward me again. "May I help you?" I asked, confused. 

"Sorry, but I'm curious. I know almost everyone here in Duskwood and I've never seen you before." She blurted. I was taken aback somewhat; I closed my laptop and looked at her. She had reddish-dark hair that was straight and she wore glasses; she looked like the type to be a Girl scout's leader. "I'm just in town for business." I told her. 

Oh, shit. That sparked her curiosity. I sighed. She smiled very curiously and went to take my order in. I opened my laptop again. 

I started the program and waited. It wasn't long till she was back with my coffee and actually sat across from me, like a puppy would its owner waiting for a treat. "How much is the coffee?" I tried to deter the conversation. "Oh," she grabbed my receipt from her waitress pouch, and handed it to me. 

"So," she started. "What's your name?" I drank a big gulp of my coffee before answering. "Emerald." Cleo's face went white. "Wait, wait." she said. She lowered her face toward me, and whispered: "Emerald, as in the 'Emerald helping the hacker guy find my best friend Hannah' Emerald?" 

Recognition. This was Cleo from the group chat that I was invited to. "The one and only." I told her. She breathed a heavy sigh and leaned back in the booth. "What're you doing in Duskwood?" Her tone was now cautious.

"I used to live here, you know. You don't have to be accusatorial." She shook her head. "I wasn't, I just..there's something you need to know that I found out yesterday; since you and the hacker guy are working together and stuff." 

I raised my brow, questionably. "Stuff?" She waved her hands exasperatingly. "You know what I mean. Anyway. I went to the motel. Ms. Walter wasn't around--I messaged you, but I guess you haven't read it yet. I talked to her son, Alfie. He called me the 'Dead Girl's Friend'. Said Hannah was taken into the forest by the Man Without A Face."

"Do you think he's lying?" I asked. She shook her head, somberly. "He just doesn't make things up, Emerald." 

I nodded, understanding. The man without a face legend spooked me out; we were all told that story when we were little. "I never did like that legend. Always scared me." I took another sip and checked my phone real quick. I had a message from Jessy; apparently Cleo broke in at Roger's Garage. Cleo was about to get up, but I stopped her. "You need to explain to Richy about your little break-in."

She frowned. "I didn't mean to actually break in. I heard loud noises." I rubbed my face from irritation from all the new info I've just been told. "Just, please. Talk to Richy." Cleo nodded and went back to her shift. Thank the Lord. 

When I looked back at my computer, a new file had popped up on the screen. It was a picture that was taken in the forest; a small moss covered cave, with two trees above. It looked ominous, and the time of the day seemed to be early morning or late evening. I also found a document. So I sent those two files to the hacker. 

He didn't come online. I finished my coffee and my stomach growled. I suddenly realized that I hadn't ate properly in about three days. I saw Cleo and I motioned her over. "I actually am hungry. What's the special today?" She looked at the chalkboard above the counter, it read: Tofu Breakfast Burrito. 

"Would you like that? Or something else?" she held her pen, waiting. "Um, I'll just have some steak and scrambled eggs, with avocado toast." I decided, hoping that would not upset my stomach. "And, can I also have some ice water? Please." Cleo smiled. "Coming right up."

I decided to get comfortable and continued working on my laptop. It was going to be a long day, today. Still no call from Amy's mom or dad; that worried me. And Cleo from the group chat knew I was in Duskwood now; she's probably sending messages right now to the whole group. Just my luck--I'm not that great at talking to people; it made me very uncomfortable. 

It was about ten minutes later, a different waitress brought my food and ice water. It smelled amazing. I told her my thanks and dug in. The bell that rung above the door when a new customer arrived, suddenly dinged. I looked up and dread sat in. "Damn it, Cleo."

It was the whole group: Thomas, Dan, Jessy, Richy, and Lilly. Where Cleo ran off to, I've no idea. I slid in my seat and tried to hide to no avail. They walked toward me like a pack of lions, and sat down in my booth. I swallowed the lump that was forming in my throat. "So, you're Emerald?"

"Who wants to know?" I questioned, showing them that I wasn't going to be intimidated so easily. I could feel heat rise up my neck and onto my face; I despised social interaction, especially with this many people at once--I'm more of a one-on-one person.  

Jessy spoke first. "We have questions." 

Another waitress came up to my booth and took their orders. "Just a round of coffees; looks like we're going to be here for awhile." Lilly told her.

I looked at my phone then, secretly wanting this hacker guy to come online and talk to me. I sighed, stressed that he was still offline. I placed my phone in my sweater pocket. "What do you want to know?" I asked. 

"Oh, just everything."