Chapter 83 - Helping Lena Move

Start from the beginning

Kara sighs as she flops her phone down onto the bed, she really, really, hopes that Alura doesn't wake up in the next 15 – 20 minutes, before Lena gets home. Kara just knows that if Alura wakes up and sees that her momma is still not there, meaning she wouldn't have seen her in over 24 hours, she will completely freak out, and probably have an emotional meltdown. Kara, not only doesn't want to have to deal with that, but she doesn't want Alura to have to go through that either.

Kara lays in bed for the next few minutes, not really sure what to do with herself. Kara knows that she can't go back to sleep, because Lena is going to be home soon, and honestly, she doesn't need any more sleep anyway. Usually Kara would just get out of bed and begin her day, but Kara is hesitant to do that right now, because she doesn't want to risk getting up and making a noise, which could then lead to Alura waking up. So, Kara is kind of in a bit of a catch-22 situation right now. Ultimately, Kara decides to lay there for a few more minutes, while she scrolls through her phone, reading the news, and just getting updated with the world, and what's on social media.

As Kara reads through the news, she finds herself reading about certain topics and articles, and instinctively thinking that she would like to pitch doing a deeper dive into that story to Snapper, but then she remembers she isn't working at CatCo anymore. It is sort of a weird feeling for Kara, because she has got so used to passively throughout her day making notes of things that she would potentially like to write articles about. Therefore, it is now very strange for her not to need to do that currently. It's a habit Kara will have to spend the next week or so getting out of. Admittedly it does make Kara a little sad when she thinks about it, but she then thinks about working with Lena at L-Corp, and all the new things she will be doing while working there, and it puts a big smile on her face. Kara thinks that maybe a temporary change in scenery from CatCo will be a good thing, for reasons other than to avoid questions of about her girlfriend buying the company for her. Kara thinks that maybe she does need a break from CatCo, and everything that is attached with it. For Kara, CatCo has changed so much over the last year, with Cat Grant leaving, and then James taking over as CEO, and obviously that did not end well at all. So, Kara thinks that getting away, and taking a break for a while, will allow her to come back to CatCo one day recharged, with a new energy and passion for the company, and for journalism in general, and perhaps she will pick up some new skills while working at L-Corp.

Eventually, 10 minutes go by, and Kara has now finished reading the news, and scrolling through her social media, so she decides she should get up. Kara however decides not to get up like a normal human being, instead of putting her feet on the ground, she floats a couple of inches above the floor, so that she doesn't make any sound by walking on floorboards that could potentially creek and wake Alura. Kara then heads to the bathroom, all while floating, not wanting to make even the littlest sound. In fact, while Kara is doing this, she feels more nervous and anxious than some of the times when she has been fighting people as Supergirl, or dealing with Cat Grant threatening to fire her, or Snapper Carl being Snapper Carl.

Another 10 minutes go by, and thankfully Kara has been able to make the least amount of sound possible, and Alura hasn't woken up. Kara then hears the key in the front door turning, followed by the front door opening and closing, signalling to her that Lena has finally got home. Kara then makes her way out to the living room/kitchen open plan area to greet Lena.

"Hey." Kara smiles.

"Hi." Lena replies, sheepishly, clearly a bit nervous that she has potentially upset Kara over suggesting not coming home.

"Alura isn't up yet." Kara says.

"That's.... good." Lena nods, still nervous, dropping her bag on the kitchen counter.