Runaway

I wake up groggily, groaning from the sounds coming from outside. Damn, they're at it again. I sigh as I hop out of bed, reaching for my robe as I start my day. It was 6 o'clock.

I'd have loved to sleep in but the huge earthquakes had other plans for me. I made my morning tea before walking to my balcony and looking outside, specifically to the northeast.

There was a big island located there, that island was the reason why no one could sleep in. Ah yes, if I look down, I can see my neighbour Mrs Morris hold her fist in a silent curse at the island. She may be deaf, but the earthquakes also caused massive vibrations which spelt death for all of her delicate china.

If I look a bit to the left, I can see the men at the pub, sighing and rolling their eyes as they continued their game of cards while the explosions continued. One man didn't even flinch when a stone landed on his table.

"Those damn Commies, when are they ever going to call it quits already?!"

Now to the right, we have all the children walking to their schools. They could never get enough sleep with all the nonstop commotion so they used studying as a way to tire themselves out until they crash. Needless to say, a 9-year-old can now recite 600 numbers of pi, all in the name to sleep for at least a good 9 hours.

"Hi, Allie!" Evangeline, one of the school kids waves as she sees me from above. I wave back.

Boom, another explosion and now a purple smog was spreading from the island. Mike, the town's Bell ringer, rang the bell four times. It was a gas leak again. The kids hurried inside and I put up my magic barrier glass.

Judging from the amount of smoke there was, seems like the magic tower is now getting serious. Which they have been doing for the last three years. In case you're wondering what's happening, we are a nice country that is right next to a kingdom that is having a civil war.

Another explosion, five Bell rings. This meant incoming shrapnel. Rocks and trees and sometimes metal fall into our kingdom.

My name is Aleesa or Allie for short. I am a simple girl who is living in an apartment at the top of a bakery which I own. My balcony can oversee most of my town's streets as well as a clear view of Commile Island which is having a war with itself.

The Crown Prince is having a war with the archmage of the magic Tower who is also having a war with the youngest Duke and swordsman of the realm.

Three extremely handsome, extremely talented, extremely stupid young men are tearing their kingdom apart because of some girl.

I used to be from Commile Island too, but I had the extreme luck of remembering that this was part of a novel. I was the villainess, and I was not trying to befriend or win over any of the other characters in the novel. I just sold my land for the highest price I could get and left.

My Countdom was sold for a whopping 9 billion large gold coins. I was wise to sell it off then because as soon as the war started, prices started falling and my Countdom would've only come about to 200 gold coins, seeing as its location is smackdab in the middle of the war. Sorry to the marquis who bought my land, I still pray for you.

If you use the magic binoculars that you can buy at the nearest guild, you can make out the silhouette of the archmage in his rage stage. He waves a hand and a straight pile of the land went up in the air and towards the capital where I guess the castle was.

I sigh as I hear two bell rings. The smoke has cleared. We have special contraptions that can suck the poisonous smoke out of our country.

About my new country, it does not have a powerful archmage nor an extremely handsome and talented young Duke. What we have is much better and is more valuable than all the gold anyone could offer: a treaty saying that this country shall not join in on the war, nor shall we allow any damage to our country because of the war.

These fancy magic glass barriers and smoke-clearing box things are gifts from the magic Tower in order to keep the treaty upheld. We let them sort out their differences so long as they keep it in their country. Sadly, we can't do much about the noise so scientists and mages here are working on noise-cancelling ear blockers for all or at least a barrier to block out the sound.

I switch my machine off which deactivates the glass as I go back to staring at the island whilst sipping my tea. Leaving was the best decision I ever made. My family also decided that they liked the simple life so they decided to join me.

"Allie, we ran out of flour, when's the next delivery?" my younger sister, Andrea asks.

"It's a gas signal, the delivery must've been cancelled. Be a dear and send one of the boys to go and collect it from the Miller," I say.

"Kay," she replies as she leaves my room. Another blast, the piece of rock nearly hit my eye had I not moved quick enough.

"Tch, those damn commies..." I mutter. The one thing I don't understand is how long this war is taking. I mean, the female lead should have picked one already, it's been three damn years. Just hurry and choose your eye candy so we can all be done with our lives!

I sigh as I shut my balcony door. Oh well, I can put up with the noise so long as it ain't me in that country. And may go be with those who are there.