Chapter 2

"Gate Open", Val whispered. "Okay, transfer those equipments and containers now."

The crew obeyed his orders. They pushed the heavy equipment and large containers into Val's Gate of Portal. A magnificent crystal ring of light connected the dropped-off area to the storage room. Shining brightly at the center of the room with its energy criss-crossing into the five rings that forms the cold Gate of Portal.

"We're done, sir," said a crewman.

"Good, thank you," replied Val.

It satisfied him as he was able to hold his Gate for one full hour with twenty heavy equipment weighing ten to fifteen tons each, and an average height of five feet, and width of three feet. A couple more days of training and he figured he would be able to accomodate vehicle transfers. But keeping oneself healthy is part of the training and as he walked back inside the AEGIS headquarters to find a refresher, he heard his name called.

"Val!"

He looked at his right and saw inside the room, Anna and Loids. "Hi," he greeted them.

"Hello," replied Loids. "Where are you going today?"

"Well, I don't know yet. I am still thinking."

"Do you mind in joining us then?" asked Loids.

"Sure, where?"

"We're going to watch the inter-school competition at the University of Manila," Anna answered.

"I see. Okay, I'll wait for you ladies outside."

He left them and continued walking along the corridor. He passed by the command center, "Hey, Tess. Where is Allan?"

Tess looked up from the documents she was reading, "He's out, the commander sent him on a mission," she answered.

"Thank you, Tess," he waved.

He reached the transport room and sat on a chair inside a tube, "To the outside." The tube wisked away into the dark tunnel and for only about five seconds, he reached the top and into an abandoned building, which they call "outside".

The abandoned building looked good and seems to be in good condition. If inspected more closely, anyone will wonder why the construction was halted. Perhaps due to reports of supernatural in nature which is, to his irritation, plenty around here.

"Ghosts? Who would believe that?" Then something moved behind him.

"Gate Open," he shouted trembling. Looking more closely, it was just the two girls, Val sighed in relief.

Anna and Loids looked at each other and laughed hard.

"Okay, that's enough. Let's go. Because you laughed at me we will walk instead." He said with confidence and bravery.

The two girls just smiled at him and followed him.

Four hours ago, Allan had started believing the day is his unluckiest day when the Commander summoned him.

"Go to Subic Airport. His plane will arrive there at exactly 15:00 o'clock. Once you meet, head back here immediately, understood?"

"Yes, Commander Cav," he replied.

"Ok then, you are dismissed," said the Commander.

"Roger, AEGIS."

I should be watching the inter-school competition by now. He thought. It's almost three, his plane should be here any moment now.