Chapter 7

It couldn't have been going better. The money was pouring in. They were buying up land left and right. There was a new fire in Quackity that Sam hadn't seen in a long time. The light in his office was always on no matter how late he passed by the building. A few times he thought he'd glimpsed a second person in there, but it was too high up for him to be sure. Someone tall. Their silent partner.

He still had no definite idea who this partner was. Quackity seemed content to keep him in the dark. But whoever they were, Sam found himself getting nervous at Quackity's growing ambition. Dream and Technoblade were never getting out of prison, he'd make sure of that, but there were still others that might view the growing country of Las Nevadas as a threat if it expanded too quickly.

Quackity might have the silver tongue, but it was up to Sam to back him with physical force. He mentally ticked off threats. Tommy and him were on the worst terms, but Tommy liked Quackity. The Eggpire was still defunct, at least, he hoped so - the Eggpire still worried him late in the night when he should have been asleep. There was Philza and Niki, they were the only two from Doomsday he didn't have a bead on. But without Dream or Technoblade to back them, they couldn't challenge him. And Tubbo, with his supposedly secret nukes, was on their side - a move Quackity made that seemed more and more brilliant by the day.

Tubbo, who knew how to make more nuclear weapons, had a stake in Las Nevadas. Tubbo who had looked as nervous as he felt staring at the square that surrounded Wilbur's Burger truck when they were in Quackity's office that afternoon. For some reason the stand was now off-limits.

The meeting ended and he hadn't heard half of it. Then again, Quackity was talking so fast he was difficult to follow even when Sam was paying attention. He just couldn't keep up. He noticed Tubbo's eyes had glazed over a bit, too.

"Tubbo, I'll see you tomorrow. Sam, could you stay for a minute?" Quackity said.

Sam and Tubbo exchanged a look. He could tell Tubbo wanted to talk to him. Still, this wasn't something he could refuse.

"Sure," Sam said.

Tubbo left the room. A minute later the door to the penthouse shut.

"So what's with this new square around Wilbur Soot's burger stand? We had plans for that land," Sam started.

"Well, now we don't," Quackity said, simply. "We'll build around it."

"If you'll excuse me for asking, why?"

"I don't need to give a reason, but, if you must know, Wilbur isn't interested in selling it."

"That's never stopped you before."

"It keeps the enderman and the corpse busy. You know how Wilbur can be when he has too much time on his hands."

In his mind he could see L'Manberg sinking into the ground as explosions ripped through it. Not that he didn't see that fate as a distinct possibility for Las Nevadas anyway.

"Busy or not, he's a danger to our city as long as he lives near it. Who knows what he might be planning?"

Quackity smirked. "I'd rather have him here where I can keep an eye on him than f-ck knows where. But I didn't ask you to stay to discuss business, this is something of a more personal nature."

Sam's brow furrowed. "Personal?"

"I want a pair of rings made. Nothing too fancy, but nice." Quackity glanced at his thumb where a piece of wire was wrapped. "Silver, I think, with an embedded ruby."

"On one?"

"No, both. They should match. Maybe with the symbol for Las Nevadas. Nah. But something to make it look a bit more interesting, like forget-me-nots and maybe an asphodel."