fourteen.

Ponyboy

After their little visit to Windrixville, Ponyboy was certain he was in love. He wouldn't tell Jo, of course, but she was always on his mind. He wanted to spend all his time with her, he wanted to be there for her. He just wanted her.

It was getting to the point that the guys were noticing but was hard not to. When Ponyboy had very strong feelings for anyone, good or bad, everybody knew.

He still hadn't told his brothers, though, or Two-Bit or Steve. He kinda liked being the only one to know who it was he had his heart on. Soda was a big romantic, when any of the guys met someone he was very invested in the outcome. He'd ask about them basically every other day and Ponyboy wasn't sure if he was ready for that yet with this thing he had with Jo. Darry was much more subtle, and he'd never admit it but he loved romance too. Darry was a very logical person, practically the opposite of emotional Ponyboy, but Darry really made Pony think about the deeper aspects of the other person who he's got feelings for.

When Ponyboy woke up today, he was feeling elated; it was Saturday and he and Jo actually made plans in town. The pep in his step was apparent from miles away.

"So, Pony, you finally gonna tell us who the girl is?" Sodapop wondered, noting his bright demeanor as he emerged from the bathroom, hair wet and towel around his waist.

Ponyboy chuckled, "It's no big deal just this girl from school," he says dismissively.

Sodapop was not accepting that dilution of Ponyboy's excitement and he knew it. The guy couldn't really lie to anyone close to him and expect them not to catch on, he simply wasn't ready to open up about it yet. "Ponyboy, Darry and I have been here and we've watched you formin' a crush before. You're gonna have to tell us more."

"Well I'll tell you we got a date today." Soda smiled and pat Ponyboy on his shoulder, proud of the guy. Pony never mentions this but after his last girl, no one was sure he'd want to go out and date for a while including himself. It was really exciting for all of them watching Ponyboy go through the phases because he's just so transparent and they can tell it makes him happy having some romance in his life. "Now, I gotta go get ready."

"When are yall goin' out?"

"Later today but I just wanna be ready already." Soda chuckled at his excitement and left Ponyboy to prepare for his date.

Ponyboy went into his closet and looked for something fit for their date. They were gonna go bowling. It was Jo-Lynn's idea, she said she loved bowling. Pony hadn't bowled much but he didn't mind, he was more excited to see her happy. He decided on some jeans and went to Sodapop's side of the closet for a shirt, he had lots of nice stuff. He settled on a dark green button up shirt with little black details and tucked it in neatly.

"Nice shirt," Soda complimented as Ponyboy emerged almost ready for the date.

"Thanks. I'll fix my hair up a little bit later."

Pony relaxed on the couch, enjoying the quiet for a moment and listening as Sodapop cooked breakfast for everyone. "I can't believe Darry ain't up yet."

"Well you know he had a late night for once."

Pony nodded, Darry had been going out a bit more often. He made a few real friends at work and finally got rid of his second job and has more time to relax. It's been great for everyone, really. Darry was like the backbone for the family and when he's genuinely happy, everyone feels a shift in the air. Not that everything was perfect but things have been very smooth for a while. Pony sometimes thought about how he used to think Darry hated him and he could almost kick himself because now they were closer than ever. Heads bump but the bruises don't last too long.

"Speak of the devil," Soda says as Darry emerges from his bedroom.

"Mornin' Darry."

"Good mornin' y'all."

They spoke about Darry's night and Soda and Darry carried on a conversation about something while Ponyboy's mind drifted between actually being engaged, and thinking about his date later. He just wished he could see her already. Pony almost couldn't believe how smitten he'd become. He hadn't thought about a girl so much since his last girlfriend and after that he swore off dating for a bit. That was a little over a year ago and it was refreshing because Pony felt like she was really right for him, like he could see them together for a long time and never feel scared to be his vulnerable self around her, he felt like she could understand him somehow. He was ready to dive in head first.

After a few hours of splitting his time between reality and daydreaming, little talks with Two-Bit and Steve, nearly an hour trying to get his hair just perfect, and some light reading to keep his mind busy, it was just about time for them to meet up. Excitement and nerves built as he drove the pickup to her side of town and when he pulled up to the address she sent him she was already out and waiting to go. He could see her brother watching from a window inside and smiled nervously, greeting her with a warm "hello."

So every time this book gets a surge of comments im motivated to write more on it because im just reminded how much I love this story and a big thank you to the person who just recently went through and commented it means a lot to me because I love comments, votes are great but i LOVE the interaction!! anyway here you go ummm the date is gonna be cute im saving the drama for later lol