34. Retribution

Începe de la început

This is how they punished in his day. In front of the everyone. In the panachayat. Fear spread through the villagers bodies, set in like rigor mortis. He snatched it from the wall and marched back to the servant quarters. Rage blinded Allah Ditta. He saw darkness. He could hear his son's screams when he whipped his naked back. The red scars would define his torso forever.

When Allah Ditta returned to the servant quarter Meh'r-Bano wasn't in the kitchen. He ran out looking for a woman who was dressed in a violet kameez. He held the handle and curled the leather whip into a circle holding it in his right hand.
"Where is she?"

Meh'r-Bano carried the large basket of okra out in front of her, walking through the courtyard towards the haveli kitchen, where they would be cooked in a large pot. Allah Ditta spotted her and jogged behind her. How dare she walk around the haveli? How dare she be untouched? He'd tortured his son for his treason, but they didn't dare. He had to deliver justice! If Dilawar-Baksh couldn't do it, he had to do it. Tossing is arm behind him, he prepared the long tail of the whip with power and struck Meh'r-Bano back. Meh'r-Bano screamed. The basket hurled into the air. The okra showered onto the ground.
"You think you can get away with it!" Allah Ditta grit his teeth powering his right arm behind him and struck Meh'r-Bano once again. The crack echoed through the courtyard. Meh'r-Bano turned and ran for her life. Her sandals slipped off her feet. The marble floor was burning hot. The pain throbbing through her. Allah Ditta chased her. Servants littered into the courtyard on hearing the commotion.
Allah Ditta attacked Meh'r-Bano once again. She fell to the ground
"Help! Someone!" Pain throbbed through Meh'r-Bano's body. Lying on the floor the servants watched doing nothing.
Allah Ditta channelled his rage through his whip. Snaking the whip behind him. She climbed to her feet and charged her arms running away from the snaking whip. The guards stood by and watched. There were no orders for a punishment, but they understood Allah Ditta's anger. Allah Ditta was restoring justice.
"Someone help me!"
Allah Ditta's shadow cast upon her as he struck her this time cracking her skin. Her kameez torn. A piercing scream quaked the haveli. Fiza's silver tray clanged to the ground. The steel containers bounced as she ran out hearing the screams. Today, she couldn't be silent.
"Stop! " She stood in front of Meh'r-Bano.
"What are you doing?" With her palms splayed open, she protected Meh'r-Bano.
"Resorting justice!" He powered the whip behind him, his arm up and over his head. This man was professional and confident with the whip. His legs shoulder width apart. Read to channel his force through the whip.
"She is a traitor and deserved to be punished. Get out of my way!" His eyes red with rage.
"That's baba's decision!" Fiza reached out for the whip, but he pushed her back.
"This is how it should be done!" Allah Ditta struck her once again striking her leg followed by Meh'r-Bano soul piercing scream.
"Stop it!" Fiza screamed "Baba! Uzayr! Someone! Help!"

Whilst Fiza stood as a wall of defence, Meh'r Bano straggled to her feet her back burning hot. Her dupatta abandoned on the ground. Her hair loose and in her face. She ran. Her body coursing with pain. Allah Ditta limped behind her pushing Fiza aside and hurled the whip just missing her.

From around the corner, Jahanzaib raced on hearing the screams. He ran towards the commotion as Allah Ditta powered his arm ready to unleash another crack of fury. Meh'r-Bano turned the corner and collided into Jahanzaib. When Jahanzaib looked up, Allah Ditta powered his arm behind him hurling the whip ready to attack. When he struck, Jahanzaib grabbed the tail of the whip and yanked it with force. Meh'r-Bano legs weakened. Her head dizzy. Jahanzaib held her. His arm around her holding her upright.
"Take her!" He roared at Fiza barely holding Meh'r-Bano upright.
"Get out of my way!" Allah Ditta's eyes were rounded with fury. Today no one would stop him. Jahanzaib unleashed the fury pent up in his body at the old man. He didn't care for his old age, he charged into him and head butted him between the eyes. Allah Ditta staggered, his legs weak and fell like an old, large tree onto the ground.
"Come on!" Jahanzaib thumped his chest. "Come for me! You bastard! Hit me!" He towered over Allah Ditta like a mountain.
Meh'r-Bano crashed onto the floor fainting from the severity of the pain. The throbbing pain took it's toll on her body. Her body shivered. Darkness pulled her in.
"Jahanzaib- she's fainted." Fiza cried her body trembling.
Meh'r-Bano's eyes flickered. An image flashed before her eyes as she was pulled into semi consciousness. The woman's face concealed with blinding light. The woman beckoned her.
"Ammi." Meh'r-Bano mumbled.
The woman's voice was not feminine. But hoarse, and deep. A man.
'Ya Lateef.' The woman reminded her. 'Ya Lateef." It was Sai Baba's voice urging her to recite the sacred name of God.
Meh'r-Bano mumbled. "Ya Lateef." Her dry lips uttered the zikr sai baba taught. Fiza lifted Meh'r-Bano, struggling to hold her up. With her right arm around her, Meh'r-Bano was falling deeper into unconsciousness.
"Jahanzaib!" Fiza called out. "I can't carry her. She's fainting.
Looking behind him, Jahanzaib threw the whip and rushed to Meh'r-Bano. He picked her up like a basket of okra, holding her legs.
"Bring her to my room. Quick!" Fiza pointed to the haveli and led him.