one

My teeth bite my lower lip as I finish my painting, my eyes scanning the entire paper in contentment. As I take the earbuds out of my ears, I shove my iPod into my backpack and set my painting to dry.

"Did you sign up for studio?" Annie asks, my head nodding.

"Are you going?" I ask, her head nodding.

"I got a ton of new photos over break so this should be good," she says, my lips curving in amusement.

"New camera?" I ask, her head nodding.

"Christmas treats me right," she says, my lips releasing a laugh.

"Did you hear the Mrs. McNeil is having her baby so we have a new teacher?" she asks, my head shaking.

"He better not be some dopey weird guy like Mr. Forester," she continues, my head nodding.

"He's creepy," I say, her body shivering.

"Creepy and pedo," she says, my eyes rolling.

We walk to get lunch and we sit down, Devin and Porter joining us. We're best friends; all big art students.

"Did you hear about the new teacher?" Devin asks, his eyes looking at me.

"No. What's the big deal about the new teacher anyway?" I ask, Porter laughing.

"Apparently he's 'hot'," Porter exaggerates with his fingers, my lips curving.

"I don't get why though. He's got longish hair and it looks weird on a teacher," Devin says, my lips releasing a laugh.

"Hey, don't judge me. I'm a straight guy but I have issues when men look weird," he states, my eyes rolling.

"Oh, don't look now but Jenna got her face done," Annie says, all of us looking over at her.

Her face looks plastic and I try to hide my laugh, Devin and Porter already laughing.

"Hey, she looks...decent," I try, but end up laughing with them.

"God, she tries so hard to be popular but really you probably are the most popular here," Porter says, my hand shoving him.

"Am not. I'm nice to everyone, that's why you think that," I say, his lips curving.

"Are you thinking about prom yet?" Annie asks, my head shaking.

Her jaw drops and I shrug, Devin standing up.

"Brandi, will you go-" Annie pulls him down and we all laugh. He laughs so hard and I smile, looking at Annie.

"I probably won't go," I say, a certain boy coming to mind. I miss Harry so much.

"Why?! You have to," she says, Porter slinging his arm around my shoulders.

"You have to. I'm going to be king and you're going to be queen. It's the deal," he says, my lips scoffing.

"Jenna beat me out for prom queen. Trust me. Besides, I don't really care about prom queen," I say, doodling in my notebook.

"But you're the prettiest girl in the whole world," Devin playfully grins, Annie hitting his arm.

"And this is why you're single Dev," she says, my lips releasing a laugh.

"We're all single. Except for whatever you're doing with mystery boy," Devin says, pointing to me.

"I think that faded," I say, sadness ripping through me. We talked for a while but it stopped after a few weeks. I still think of our first kiss and all the fun beach dates.