Chapter 5: Oh My God, They're Roommates Now

Start from the beginning

"Here's your bird," you say, "you're a terrible owner."

"Oh am I?" He responds, gently taking the bird off of your shoulder. Little Rascal stiffened up in his hands, turning back into wood. You internally panicked, now being completely alone with Hunter. He tucked the cardinal into his hoodie pocket, turning his attention completely to you. "You have a terrible technique with training, but I don't say anything."

You do one long blink in response, almost distraught. "Wow...okay. Well, I don't have the absolute privilege of learning how to train properly in a palace that ensures my safety." You step out of the way, gesturing to the field. "But please, show me how it's done."

Hunter looked at you skeptically for a quick moment as if he suspected some kind of test. After you stared back at him with a look of impatience, he turned to the field, taking off his hoodie and putting it in your hands. Just then, you were able to see what type of shirt he was wearing. It was all black with bold white lettering on the front that read 'Dunder Mifflin Paper Company'.

Hunter stretched his arms across his chest as he got to the middle of the lawn. You could make out his smirk from even this distance, the average look of superiority on Hunter that had grown normal to you over the weeks.

You took a few steps forward to see everything Hunter was doing since it was just 'so much better'.

"Try to hit me."

A few seconds passed before you realized that you were laughing. "What?"

"Yeah," he says with a look showing that he was entirely deadass. "Go ahead, give it your best shot Human."

"Y/n."

"Whatever you say, Human. Now let's go."

You ignore his previous comment, deciding that if you had the opportunity to hit Hunter, you'd take it.

Don't look at me like that, you know you want to.

Anyway, you take a deep, but inconspicuous breath into your nose and with a swift movement, go for his chest. Your form was good, and if Hunter wasn't...Hunter, you would've totally hit him. But just as your fist brushed against Hunter's shirt, he took a sharp turn to his right, dodging the blow.

You fumble forward, glaring to the side at Hunter as you catch your balance.

"Looks like you didn't keep the advice I gave you in training," Hunter says, "has it really been that long?"

Right, training.

It hasn't been that long, yet, you forgot about training. In your defense, months felt like years and you kept any memories of the palace repressed.

"Stop." Your words were sharp and stern, you didn't want the memories flooding back. You'd rather forget.

"What? Don't tell me you forgot 'think three steps ahead', did you?"

"Stop, Hunter." You say again, but this time, you look directly at him.

"Does the idea of me training you make you this much of a mess? I mean, you didn't seem to mind it back at the palace but-"

Instead of cutting him off, you grab him by his shirt and pull him in. With the other hand, you lift your arm with a fist, as if you were about to punch his face and watch him wince.

But instead of punching him, you shove him away from you and turn to the house. "Stop bringing up the past. You wanted a punch, I could've given it to you, I don't need your training to land one."

And with that, you go inside and slam the door, which wakes King up from his nap on the couch. "Hm? What just happened?" He yawns.

"Nothing, King. Go back to sleep," you gently pet him, putting him back in deep sleep in less than 5 seconds. You smile at his peaceful state and sigh once you're brought back into reality.

Luz was at school right now learning magic, so you didn't have her to bother. Hooty was doing whatever Hooty does when he's not bothering anyone. So that just left...

"Hi hun, what's with the frown?"

Eda.

You nearly jump at the sudden noise from behind you. "Nothing! Just uh-"

You hear the front door being open, Hunter was back.

Eda could sense the awkward tension despite you not turning around to directly face the boy. "...just, tired. I'm gonna crash in Luz's room for a bit. Can you tell me when Luz is back?"

"Uh-"

"Thanks Eda, you're the best. Okay bye." You quickly walk into Luz's room and the door slams behind you before Eda can respond. Her eyebrows furrow as she refocuses her attention from the door to Hunter.

"Hey, Kid."

Hunter looks at Eda while he finishes putting on his hoodie, "Yeah?"

"You know this can't go on forever right? You both look miserable, everyone can see it."

"I know," the boy responds with a guilty expression, "but it's so hard to talk to them. You don't understand what it's like to be on her bad side and quite frankly, they're not on my good side either."

Eda shrugs, "Well, you're gonna have to learn how to meet in the middle. Look, I know you're used to being enemies, but now you're on the same side."

Hunter sighs.

"I know what it's like have a rough relationship with someone close to me before, just...try to understand Y/n, okay?"

Eda gives him a reassuring smile and softly pats him on the shoulder.

You're both on the same side now.

***

A/n: Short chapter I know, I know, bare with me. I've got big plans for this fanfic, you've just gotta trust me on this one.

Until next time