Chapter 6: Can We Go Back in Ti- 💥...God, That Scared Me 😅

A chapter in which we travel back and get another glimpse into your past

***

You stretch, feeling comfort from the weighted blankets on your legs. By this point, you had already gotten used to waking up due to the sun beaming on your face, but that didn't stop you from being annoyed. Sometimes though, it was a good thing since you didn't need Hunter to be your alarm clock on training days.

You forced yourself up because you knew if you closed your eyes again and told yourself "5 more minutes", 5 more minutes would turn into several hours. You went to your bookbag and fished through it for your toothbrush, hair products, and one of three limited outfits you had on you.

You got ready, making sure to put your hair up so that it wouldn't fall in your face and just generally be a distraction. The outfit was comfortable but not loose, so the chance of Hunter pulling on your clothing to win while training was low. You slip on your sneakers that desperately needed cleaning and leave your room, heading to Hunter.

"Hi Y/n!" you pass by one of the guards, but that distinctive upbeat voice made it easy to tell who it was.

"Steve! What's up? How are you?"

"I'm doing pretty good, thanks," you can hear his smile through the mask. "Training day?"

"Sadly," you respond, pretending to dramatically pass out, "the worst day of the week."

"If you ask me, it seems pretty cool."

"Yeah, well I probably would've agreed if he pushed back the training a few hours," you smile, walking backward still facing him, "I better get going though, byyyye."

"Bye-bye," Steve waves as he gets back to work.

***

"You're late." 

"Dude what? It's a minute before we're officially supposed to start-" 

"15 minutes early is on time, 5 minutes early is late, on time is 'are you even kidding me, get out of my sight.'" 

A smile spreads across your lips as the words slowly process in your mind. Already knowing where this is going, Hunter tries to beat you to it. 

"Y/n, no-" 
"So that means..."
"No," he draws this one out, hoping to drown out your idea. 
"I get to go back to sleep now-" 

"Ohmytitan, please just go grab a sword!" 

You sigh obnoxiously out of pure pettiness and retrieve a sword, gorgeous, gold? You spin it around a bit, swishing your arms from side to side. The weight of the sword didn't scare you anymore, it brought you comfort. Maybe in a few more practices, it'll feel like home. 
You take your place in the room, too familiar with it and tired of the repetition.  
"What's on the schedule today, Hunter? Spending hours correcting my stance, lecturing me about something I've said? Ooh! I've got it, maybe-" 

"Defense. I wanted to get to the defense today if that's okay with you?" He doesn't try to hide how pleased he was with himself for both shutting you up and surprising you. This wasn't a shit-eating grin though. It was one of those moments where you could see the gap in Hunter's two front teeth and he doesn't seem like the strict Golden Guard. Just an adorable 16-year-old boy with a friend. You really liked those glimpses. So slow to resurface, but so quick to go. 

Then you remembered defense. 

"Yesyesyesyesyes, Hunter! Finally! Something that'll help me here!" 

Just like that, the persona was back. "Alright, alright. First rule of combat: Think three steps ahead. If I come at you like this," he approaches you fast, aiming for the stomach. You stagger back instinctively, making an easy leeway for Hunter to trip you onto your back, and grab your sword as your grip loosened. He stood over you, pointing the tip of the sword close to your neck as you catch your breath. "Always assume that your enemy has a plan. Never hope that they're coming into a fight blindly only thinking as they go, never. Instead of backing up, you should've gone to the left or right, would've given you more time to act." 

Hunter withdraws the point of the sword from your neck and gestures his head up since his hands were full. You get up with a determined smile, still a bit disoriented from the quick fall. He tosses the gold sword up, you catch it in a swift movement. "Strong fists aren't going to save you anymore, Y/n, so strap in." 

A/n: Well, well, well, if it isn't my amazing readers. It's been a while, hasn't it? I would apologize, but honestly, it doesn't feel needed. I've gone through so much during the time period that I wasn't working on this story. I'm genuinely happier now, regaining my love for writing and the feeling of the keys under my fingertips. My hair's growing out and so is my character. Also also, I started the first half of this tiny chapter monthsss ago, so if you get whiplash from the sudden writing style change, my bad. I love you all so much. 

I'm back baby 

Until next time