0. Prologue

0. Prologue

The sound of shattering glass seeped into the room and startled the young girl awake. She sat up in her bed with wide eyes. She could hear yelling coming from downstairs, so the girl tossed the blankets from over her lefs and slid to the edge of her bed.

She stretched her leg and foot to touch her toes to the ground, and with her feet safely planted on the cold, wooden floors, the girl made her way to the bedroom door. She reached up for the doorknob slowly as she listened to her mother's voice trying to restore order to the house. The bedroom door opened with a loud creak, and the girl jumped. She hoped the now silent house wouldn't be filled with the echoing screech and that her parents wouldn't realize she was out of bed pasat bedtime.

Nothing happened in the few seconds that she waited at the end of the second story's hallway, so she made her way to the stair case a few feet away from her bedroom door. At the railing overlooking the family den, she dropped from her tippy toes to her stomach and peered down at the room filled with strange peopl whom she had never met before.

No one had noticed her wild red hair as she'd fell to the floor, but she knew she would be found if she stayed in plain sight like she was. Slowly, she backed away from the railing and out of sight to the people in the room below. Then she sat up against the hallway wall as the conversation continued beneath her.

"Nacasia, we can't let you use our daughter whether this prophecy you're telling us about is true or not," the girl's father said sternly.

"Come next August, little Harper will be the only First Year at Hogwarts from a Pure Blood family. There is no one else who can do this, Avery."

"Listen -"

"No, I won't listen. She will do this for me, for the Dark Lord!"

"Please, try to keep your voice down. Our children are sleeping, Nacasia," Harper's mother said in hushed tones. Footsteps echoed up the hallway.

Things grew quiet for the moment leaving Harper to realize that she had stopped breathing. "What exactly did the prophecy say?" Her father asked slowly.

"On the sixth day of the sixth month of the sixth year, the Lord of Walpugis shall rise again.

Through Elemental powers of innocent minds combined,

Darkness shall re-emerge into the world once more.

Earth shall lift his body, Air ground his soul, Water erode Death, Fire purify the path

- and the Elements shall be sacrificed as his power.

The Dark Lord will return at the sound of the first hour."

"Fine," Harper's mother said after a moment. "However, we will be the ones to tell Harper about her task. I'm afraid I will have to ask you to leave, Nacasia."

"No matter. As long as she completes it."

The door opened and closed loudly, and Harper's parents headed upstairs sighing to themselves. Both of them stopped a few steps from the top when they saw Harper propped against the wall in front of them. "Mum? Do I have to do something bad when I go to school?" Harper asked quietly.