fifty four|our happy ending

Start from the beginning

"Klaus?"

"I have some things to take care of. Elijah is downstairs if you need anything but you're not allowed to leave the compound for now."

Before Veronica could respond, he was already on his feet and out the door, leaving the brunette in a stunned silence.

≛ ≛ ≛ ≛ ≛ ≛

"You could take over as an Elder, you know?" Elijah spoke, bringing the wine glass to his lips.

The two were sitting on the balcony of Veronica's room, Elijah joining her with alcohol and a snack board twenty minutes ago. She kindly rejected the wine but gladly took the food.

It had only been four hours since the Elders were killed and three since Klaus walked out on her.

"I could, but I don't really know too much about banshees. I have a bunch of old books, but I don't think I'm the right person for it. I'm happy living a content, normal life with Hope."

"And my brother?"

"What about Klaus?"

"Does he fit in your normal life?"

Veronica paused, "I don't think Klaus can do normal. He's been doing this whole supernatural thing practically his whole life, I don't see him leaving it all behind anytime soon."

"He would. For you and Hope, he would."

"But he would never leave you. Or Rebekah or Freya. Even Marcel. You're his family."

Elijah sighed, "Our bond, always and forever, doesn't mean we have to constantly be together. We have been daggered, separated, and almost killed numerous times. And yet, here we are."

"But I tried to kill him-"

"Veronica, you could not kill my brother even if you tried," Elijah set his glass down, "And even then, he's not mad at you for that. I do not know why, because if it were anyone else, their hearts would have been ripped from their chests and their heads hung as a trophy, but he doesn't hate you."

The brunette slowly nodded, then after a beat asked, "Before everything happened, he showed me this house. He painted my dream home and-"

"Still has the offer standing," A voice interrupted, Klaus standing with his arms crossed, leaning against the door frame.

Elijah bowed his head to Veronica, getting up from his seat and stalking inside.

"Why? Why don't you hate me? I don't get it."

"I told you, you were manipulated-"

"Stop giving me the bullshit answer!" Veronica stood up, "If this were anyone else, your siblings included, you'd make their lives hell. You'd rain the French Quarter in blood but I do this and I get nothing? I don't get it!"

"Would you like to know a secret, Veronica?" Klaus stepped closer, arms still crossed. "I knew. The entire time you thought you were fooling me, I knew."

Veronica gaped, Klaus took that as an indication to continue, "I didn't know what you were scheming, but I knew you were. My family invented manipulation and tricks, and you weren't that discreet."

"Hold on, you slept with me even though you knew I was planning something?"

"Love, we both know that wasn't part of the plan. They probably told you to flirt, but you wanted to sleep with me. That little night in the sheets was your doing. And believe me when I say I was more than happy to play along."

"And the house was a lie too? You couldn't have made it up because that really is my dream home, but everything you said?"

"It wasn't a lie, more of a conviction. It was my last resort in trying to get you to back out of whatever plans you were in, and it worked, didn't it?"

"But you don't want that life."

"I do. Like I said, it wasn't a lie. I will spend the rest of our immortal lives in that home with you and Hope if you'll have me."

"You must want something in return, right? I mean-"

"This isn't a trick," Klaus now stood in front of a pacing brunette, his hands coming onto her shoulders, "The only thing I want is for you and Hope to be happy."

"What am I to you?" Veronica blurted, her cheeks instantly reddening at what she had just asked.

Why can't I just keep my mouth shut and nod for once, she thought.

Klaus smiled, "You're many things. The mother of my child. A co parent. An ally. A friend. A woman with such a big heart that she can't bring herself to kill even a monster like myself."

"You're not a monster," Veronica whispered.

Klaus didn't respond, only brought his hand up and wiped the tears that were escaping her brown eyes.

"Do you think we deserve to be happy?"

"No. People like us shouldn't deserve it," Klaus said, his voice soft, "But I'll be damned if we don't get our happy ending."

"Our happy ending," Veronica murmured, "That sounds nice."

Klaus hummed in agreement, bringing his right hand behind her head as he pulled her to his chest, the left hand snaking around her waist.

As the moon shone over the French Quarter, the two hybrids stood there, wondering what tomorrow would look like for them.

But whatever happened, they knew they had the other to lean on.

Last official chapter of their story!!!

Do not worry, though, two very fun epilogues are coming tomorrow... or maybe tonight if I get excited ;)))