Hunt The Haunted - (18)

Start from the beginning

He tenses slightly, but nods all the same. 'Okay,' he agrees.

I quickly make him a cup of coffee, before walking through into the living room with him on my heels. 'You can sit down,' I murmur, sitting down on the couch.

He sits next to me, his cup of coffee in one hand and his other arm wrapped tightly around my waist. 'On you go then,' he says, his eyes still stormy. 'Let's hear this story.'

'My granny had a heart attack,' I respond bluntly. 'We flew to Michigan to see her and spend the week with her. I forgot my phone charger and by the time we were there and I remembered to tell anyone, my phone was dead. However, Mom has Maddie's number on her phone in case of emergencies to I sent her a text through that. I'm sorry that I didn't have any way of contacting you, but I presumed Maddie would have told you.'

'Is she okay?' Concern immediately replaces the frustration previously on his face.

I nod, smiling lightly and resting my head against his shoulder for comfort. 'Yeah, she's fine, it was just a scare, that's all. Don't worry about it.'

He smiles lightly, running his hand through my hair. 'I'm glad about that,' he murmurs softly. 'But I sense that there's something else you want to tell me.'

I take a deep breath, staring down at my shoes. 'Yeah,' I mutter quietly. 'There is.'

Ivan lifts my chin, staring into my eyes. 'Are you all right?'

I brace myself, wincing at the thought of his reaction. 'You're going to get mad- Yes, you are,' I nod, interrupting his protest. 'And so I just want you to promise me that you will hear everything I have to say before you get seriously furious, all right?'

A frown knots his eyebrows and his eyes cloud slightly. 'Poppy, what's happened?' he asks, his voice low.

I grab his hand, looking at him imploringly. 'Please just promise me. Let me finish my story before you say anything or jump to the wrong conclusions. Please.'

Ivan swallows, but nods all the same. 'Okay,' he responds evenly, but I can tell he's worried.

'I.... I may have not been completely honest,' I admit quietly.

He tenses, but, true to his word, he doesn't interrupt me.

'There's something I've neglected to tell you throughout our... relationship,' I gesture between the two of us. 'But you have to take into account that you live a fairly exposed life and that you can often have the press following you around, or whatever.'

His frown only deepens. 'Keep going,' he encourages me.

'I had people to protect and I wanted to know that I could trust you before I told you all of my secrets,' I murmur. 'I understand that it might not have been the best way to go about it, but I was scared. I was just trying to do what was best for everyone.'

An impatient look flickers across Ivan's face, yet he keeps his mouth tightly shut.

'However, when I was away, I realised that it was time to tell you what was going on and come clean about a certain aspect of my life.'

There's a pause, and Ivan suddenly blurts out before he can stop himself, 'You're not still a stripper, are you?'

Hurt flashes through my gut, but I mask it before he can realise what he said. Maybe what I'm about to say is worse than that.

'No,' I say calmly. 'I'm not a stripper. In fact, I haven't been engaged in any sexual activity with anyone other than you.'

He seems to calm down a little bit, but at the same time my statement seems to confuse him, as though he can't imagine what on earth I could say other than me being unfaithful, although we're not  technically in a relationship.